Smoked Chicken Wings

one2bbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I going to smoke some wings this weekend. Should I brine them or just marinate them in some hot sauce?

My suggestion is dont smoke them, grill them. Crispy skin is much better than soft skin. The way i do mine is put a seasoning on them and let that sit for say an hour then add some hot sauce for maybe another hour. I do these alot for tailgating. I usually season them up before I leave and then add hot sauce while I am getting the grill ready.

Seasoning will depend on how hot you want it. Basics like salt, pepper, and garlic are good. And chili powder to kick it up a little. Throwing some brown sugar in there gives it a sweet taste and ands a little char.

I smoke and fry them... or fry and smoke them. Get some oil hot (375 degrees), put the wings in the oil for 5 minutes, then drain. Add your hot sauce, then smoke for about an hour or so, until the wings hit 165 internal temp.

i put the wings,thawed and disjointed,in a zip lock. add some olive oil, seasoning of choice and let set 1-8 hours (doesn't seem to matter). smoke for about 2 hours. you could eat them after that but we have been frying them for a minute or two. i have never been a big wing fan but these are really good.

I rub the little beauties, then pop them into a smoker. No mop, no spray, let them cook. They'll be somewhat crispy and not soft at all. It depends on your temps, of course.

I smoke and fry them... or fry and smoke them. Get some oil hot (375 degrees), put the wings in the oil for 5 minutes, then drain. Add your hot sauce, then smoke for about an hour or so, until the wings hit 165 internal temp.

Never done them this way, but I'd sure like to try it.

But...what about smoking them first and then tossing them in some hot oil to crisp up the skin before adding hot sauce.

Would that work...

what kind of smoker do you have? for me my traeger is a excellent chicken cooker, crank it all the way up, I like using Franks hot sauce recipe for my hot wings, something about butter, sauce, and something else,,,

i brine for about 3 to 4 hrs then rub with a basic rub then let set overnite ,smoke for about 2 hrs at about 220 then crisp on a gas grill if needed (like what arlin said depends on heat) you could raise temp at the end of cook to crisp up if i add a sauce i wait till they are crisp then add last seems to work well done hot, bbq sauce,and teriyaki same way

You can do a lot of things to a chicken and it wont mind.

I have several preferences. ( If that is even an option )

One of my fav. and easiest is to season and immediately smoke them, and/or smoke and then deep fry.

Then garlic, butter, hot sauce em'

Never done them this way, but I'd sure like to try it.

But...what about smoking them first and then tossing them in some hot oil to crisp up the skin before adding hot sauce.

Would that work...

As someone else said, you can do it that way. The reason I don't is that it gives the wings time to not be greasy at all. I like the sauce to be cooked on a bit in the smoker, and I think it leaves more smoke flavor (may just be in m mind). But my wife likes a mix of Nando's Peri-Peri medium sauce with honey, and I think that works best in the smoker, not the fryer. I like straight wild herb or garlic Peri-Peri.

If you guys haven't tried Nando's Peri-Peri sauce on wings, you're missing something great!

i brine for about 3 to 4 hrs then rub with a basic rub then let set overnite ,smoke for about 2 hrs at about 220 then crisp on a gas grill if needed (like what arlin said depends on heat) you could raise temp at the end of cook to crisp up if i add a sauce i wait till they are crisp then add last seems to work well done hot, bbq sauce,and teriyaki same way

I going to try your method, ill let you know how it went. You have to trust a Vinnie Paul fan. Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

I smoke wings all the time. I use both marinades and rubs. It takes about 1.5 to 2 hours on the WSM at 275. The skin is crisp and the wings are always gone. These were for a backyard comp this summer.

Attachments

• 1st wings.jpg
    1st wings.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,964
For a controlable heat recipe, you might look up KCBS poultry recipes and tips for Steve's Hot Wings. Had real good luck with these and they are easy. Enjoy, Steve.

I never smoked just wings. When I do a whole bird though...I always grub on the wings first...they are always moist and skin is crisp. I think..dang I need to do just wings but never have. This weekend I am going to fire up the Stumps, got a small choice packer and some butts..think Ill throw some wings on the empty shelf. Pron to follow this weekend.

I always grill them. What I do is get one of those square fish grilling baskets that you can clamp shut and line up about 4 rows of the wings. I then season them with whatever sounds good at the time, cajun always is a favorite and grill one side till golden brown then flip the whole basket and grill the otherside. Makes it super easy as anyone who has grilled a ton of these things flipping one at a time knows how annoying that is. I missed part of the superbowl last year doing this!!! After they're done take them out of the basket and toss in Franks hotwing sauce or if you're brave just the regular Franks hot sauce. They're are never leftovers.

I LOVE what some smoke does to wings....adds a whole 'nother flavor profile....I like to rub 'em with Dizzy Pig Jamaicain Firewalk, add some African "mombassa" pepper for added heat....smoke 'em over hickory and cherry for about 1.5 hours at 250-275 on my BDS....put in foil pan, toss with Franks hot sauce....let "rest" for about 15-20 minutes and the sauce seeps into the chicken real good, makes like a glaze....Ummmmm....Think I'm gonna do some this weekend...

003-2.jpg

007.jpg

Smoke em high, and dry rub. If you can't get a good crisp skin then smoke em, fry em, and dry rub them. Ala Central BBQ in Memphis, best wings I have ever had!

Vac Pak Smoked Chicken Wings?

Aloha All:

I'm curious about two things: 1. What kind of success has anyone had smoking chicken wings (Firm? Mushy? Not as good as deep fried/baked/grilled? What?)

2. Has anyone tried putting smoked wings in a vac pak?

If yes, I'm curious what the shelf life was, how they behaved during reheating (or grilling), how well did they performed by coating them with wing sauce, etc.

cheers,

marty

Back