Is this meat too old?

MrMike

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hard to believe, but I found two cryovac-ed corn beefs in the bottom of my freezer. They just got buried and I forgot about'em. They're just about a year old (I think my wife bought them during the St Patrick's day sales...). They don't show any freezer burn due to cryopacking. I'm thinking of making them into pastrami this weekend. Granted, they probably aren't going to win any prizes, but is there a health risk in using meat this old? I've had great success in using homegrown hops that I've packed two and three years old (and those beers did win prizes...).
What's the hard and fast rule on cryopacked meat? BTW, it was sold cryopacked...

Mike

Cook it.
Worst case you feed it to the dog or cats.

Seriously, unless your freezer lost power for a long time, I think you'd be ok.

Thaw it our and give it a smell.

If is smells nasty, the dogs will love it.

Cook it - They been cryo'd, frozen and corned, you will not have a problem.

Thaw it and open it - one smell will amswer your question - if the smell don't knock you down, cook it!

had great success in using homegrown hops that I've packed two and three years old (and those beers did win prizes...).

Mike
Forget the meat when are you gonna come out and hang with us so we can sample some of that beer??????

Keep it frozen and send to me, I'll let ya know:eek::lol: What the guys before me said:icon_bigsmil

What's the hard and fast rule on cryopacked meat? .......

Mike

We don't need no stinkin' rules, man!

If it don't stink, don't toss it!

Seriously, like the others have said;

It's been at the "bottom" of the freezer (the coldest place.) This, combined with the original "corning" should be more than adequate for food safety!

Enjoy,

JimT

What are you using it for? for home consumption it is good, for catering, etc be sure to check local health codes as that may get you.

Had to check with the misses, she is a local health inspector. needles to say, she rides us hard about cleanliness all the time, but hey, it beats getting sick.

Thanks for all help - this puppy is strictly for home consumption. It probably woulda been there longer, but I'm moving in a month so am cleaning out the freezer. And would love to share some brews - but I started cleaning out that fridge some time ago. Easier to drink it than move it...I'll just have to brew again at the new place!

Thanks again - you guys are de best!

Go for it it seem beef will last longer in a freezer than pork.

I'm goin' for it...got a late start because of the yesterday's downpour. I threw it on the smoker at 3:30 this afternoon and as of 8p, it's up to 167. I won't get dinner out of it, but it'll make a damn fine bedtime snack and a dynamite lunch. I'll try to post some pron...

Here it is - pulled it at 182, let rest for 90 min...mmm. Not bad for a one year old!!

Attachments

• pastrami.jpg
    pastrami.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 10
Back