• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question about People's choice - Covington Cork and Pork

S

smokeinthenoke

Hey all. I really want to get into the competition scene, but I've never been to one, so I decided to drive up to Covington, VA today for the Covington Cork and Pork Festival and see what it's all about. I see on the website where you can get tickets to participate in the people's choice competition, which I would like to do so I can actually try some comp 'que and know what I'll need to produce when I start competing. My question is, since peoples choice is limited to 300, should I have gone up last night when they started to get tickets, or will I be able to get them first thing this morning when they start at 10am? I'm assuming they go very fast! Anyone been to this comp before or have any advice about this sort of thing? Thanks!

> which I would like to do so I can actually try some comp 'que and know what I'll need to produce when I start competing.

This may give you a hint or two, but frankly what wins peoples choice awards doesn't necessarily win a sanctioned event, particularly in ribs IMHO.

The reason is that peoples choice; anything goes. Depending on your region, you're likely to get a little meat with your sauce. Hopefully in the sanctioned portion of the comp it'll be exactly the opposite.

If you would really like to find out what comes across the table and what wins, what doesn't, and why, I highly suggest you judge a few competitions.

Also, if you want to see what comes across some tables, see bbqcritic.com

Back