whats A1 sauce for?

The cheeky response is "it's for overcooked steak"

I'm not crazy about using it on steak (any steak) but have used it for burgers and meatloaf to good effect.

I could actually see using it on brisket in place of oil/mustard as a slather for the rub. I think I'm actually going to try this for grins some time now, but my comment was because we spend so much time poking fun at what Aaron Franklin does and doesn't use to produce his famous brisket.

While I do not use A1 sauce, I do sometimes use HP sauce, but never on steaks. As indicated above, it's great when slathered on roasts and meatloaf before cooking. A nice topping to burgers and even when used in a glaze for chicken.

A1 sauce has it's roots from the British brown Sauce of of the 1800's. The most popular of these is the famed HP sauce of the British Isles. While A1 may not be exactly the same, they do share a lot of common ingredients.

Some even claim that the the English Brown Sauce was a starting point for the addition of BBQ Sauce to the culinary world.

I like the ideas above for using it on grilled vegetables, soon to try this idea the next time I grill. Thanks for sharing the ideas....

There is a bottle on the door of the frig. Where it came from, I have no idea. Does it go bad?

I like it on Burgers, roasts, baked potatoes, roasted taters.

A1 is awesome. I like it best on burgers, but also occasionally on steaks. Perfect for meatloaf as a glaze or a dipper. Smitty's post post reminded me that I also love it on baked potatoes . . . been a long time.

It's a complicated classic sauce for a reason, it's just goooood. Best when used at room temp.

There was a gal on the food network some years ago I believe named Amy that did a homemade version of a steak sauce similar to A1. Big fat expensive steak for her hubby's birthday and and a bunch of sauce for it.

I have not had A1 in over 40 years. I used to put it on baked potatoes to save calories in lieu of butter/sour cream if salsa was not available. Now days I just use butter and sour cream.

as a child i ate it on everything! except steak lol. fried chicken, potatoes anyway made it was my ketchup really lol. have not used it in a while but this post brings me back.

I like it on chickenfried steak sandwiches. Burgers and meatloaf too. :thumb:

While I do not use A1 sauce, I do sometimes use HP sauce, but never on steaks. As indicated above, it's great when slathered on roasts and meatloaf before cooking. A nice topping to burgers and even when used in a glaze for chicken.

A1 sauce has it's roots from the British brown Sauce of of the 1800's. The most popular of these is the famed HP sauce of the British Isles. While A1 may not be exactly the same, they do share a lot of common ingredients.

Some even claim that the the English Brown Sauce was a starting point for the addition of BBQ Sauce to the culinary world.

I like the ideas above for using it on grilled vegetables, soon to try this idea the next time I grill. Thanks for sharing the ideas....

I believe these came about due to interest in all things India at the time. Tamarind is a common ingredient in Indian cooking and HP sauce is tamarind based, along with Worcestersauce and A1. I enjoy tamarind chutney, for instance, on samosas (which can be rather bland without the dipping sauce or chutney). I expect when these became popular people starting putting the sauce on everything British to spice it up and companies started making their own sauces. I wouldn't put A1 on a steak, but I'd consider using it like any other sauce, on a hamburger, for instance. If I'm out of chutney, I'd use it to dip samosas or French fries in.

Sometimes I like to marinate steaks in it for a change of pace. I can't stand it as a dip for a steak though!

I smoked a chuck roast on my UDS and cubed/froze the meat to use in chili on a later date. I ended up putting it in the Crockpot with A1 sauce. Spooned over rice it was pretty darn good. A1 has a place in the pantry. So does Heinz 57. Love that stuff.

The reason I joined this forum is to learn. Weather it's how long or fast to smoke ribs, Texas crutch or not, pellet pooper or kamado or UDS.

I can't believe how much I've learned from all of you in the past 8 years. Thank you all so much!

I love reading everyone's ideas and different tastes and techniques.

Please continue to contribute ideas and recipes that are not the main stream grilling/ smoking protein, veggies and fruit.

Thanks, I'm done:icon_blush:

Last edited:
I'd put it on a "themed" burger. Nothing else personally.

Back