• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

gtr's First Whole Pig - long and pron heavy.

Nice pig Greg and a great write-up. I'm looking forward to having a pit big enough for a whole hog someday. Thanks for posting this!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Greg,

Thanks for posting this. So sorry we couldn't make it...I would have much preferred being at your place enjoying those tasty goodies instead of being under the weather.

Looks like everything turned out great, and glad Matt, Chris, Ray and Marty were able to come as well.

Next time 4 sure!

Sorry you couldn't make it. Hope you feel better.

After seeing gtr's space and set up, I have never been more jealous!

If Bigabyte was a pig?

Photo1-99.jpg

Great job!

Dang, GTR - GREAT thread. And I think you were being far too modest when you chalked it up to beginner's luck. Looks like someone's got some mad skillz there. ;)

Arlin

• Thanks
Awesome cook! I hope to try a whole pig someday! Yours look so good!
Well done! I have to try that.
Nice pig Greg and a great write-up. I'm looking forward to having a pit big enough for a whole hog someday. Thanks for posting this!

You can do it! I hesitated for a really long time and finally figured I'd give it a go. I wish I had tried it sooner.

And MisterChrister - go check out cowgirls blog, she has plans for a cinderblock pit, which is very simpla and portable - no need to wait to buy a new pit! :thumb:

Job well done GTR! I'm just south of you on the 405 lol..

Keep yer eyes open, hopefully we'll be gathering Brethren come spring.

Greg,

Thanks for posting this. So sorry we couldn't make it...I would have much preferred being at your place enjoying those tasty goodies instead of being under the weather.

Looks like everything turned out great, and glad Matt, Chris, Ray and Marty were able to come as well.

Next time 4 sure!

Moose - hell yes next time for sure! BTW I got a big ole piece of expanded metal here that Ray brought for ya. :thumb:

Looks good. I'm sorry that I couldn't make it down.

John

Give us a holler next time you're out this way. Lionel (lcbateman3) is moving out here in the spring, so I'm guessing we gotta do a big ole thang at some point.

If Bigabyte was a pig?

Great job!

If? :confused:

Dang, GTR - GREAT thread. And I think you were being far too modest when you chalked it up to beginner's luck. Looks like someone's got some mad skillz there. ;) Arlin

Thanks man! But we'll see what the deal really is on the next one. :scared:

Muchas gracias y'all!

I think I know what I wanna be for Halloween next year. :tsk:

picture.php

I gotta give props to the knowledgeable and lovely Jeanie (cowgirl), who gave the final approval of my pig cooking plan as well as the inspiration for cooking a pig in the first place. :clap2:

lol Greg Thanks for the props!! I had complete faith in you and knew you would nail it!! Looks perfect! The only thing missing is me. lol :hug: :becky:

I've been looking forward to your pics!! Love this one. :laugh::laugh::thumb:

Great looking pig Greg, you :rockon:

• Thanks
lol Greg Thanks for the props!! I had complete faith in you and knew you would nail it!! Looks perfect! The only thing missing is me. lol :hug: :becky:

I've been looking forward to your pics!! Love this one. :laugh::laugh::thumb:

Great looking pig Greg, you :rockon:

I can't thank you enough Jeanie - once you said the plan was sound I had full confidence it was gonna be ok. I hope you come to SoCal one day and hang out with us! :thumb:

I'm gonna do a few more in the offset and then try that block pit cook you got on your awesome blog. :hungry:

I can't thank you enough Jeanie - once you said the plan was sound I had full confidence it was gonna be ok. I hope you come to SoCal one day and hang out with us! :thumb:

I'm gonna do a few more in the offset and then try that block pit cook you got on your awesome blog. :hungry:

The thing about cooking the first pig is not knowing what to expect. Once you cook one the rest of them are easy.

You nailed it Greg!! Best lookin' "first pig" I ever remember seeing. Hmmm... it looks a lot better than many pigs I've seen, first or not! lol

I hope to make it to SoCal for your next one!! :becky:
Thanks again friend! :thumb:

• Thanks
I just have to say that my family and I had a awesome time. Getting to meet some of the brethren was cool, but I have to say he has some real cool friends. I think many of them were in the music industry. Farking hilarious, all of them. I could have sat and talked to them all night. There was also a girl there (don't remember her name) that brought a big dish of collard greens that were the best I ever had!! The pig tasted awesome. I got to try some cheek meat for the first time that just melted in your mouth, and you just would not believe all the great food that was brought to the party. Here are some more pic that I took while I was there.

9ysubu5y.jpg

uveja4yv.jpg

eza4egyb.jpg

Greg drew quite a crowed when he began do pull that pig apart.

Thanks for the great time Greg!!!!
6y4abuve.jpg

^^^It was fanfarkingtastic to have y'all over, Ray - you & yer crew are welcome any time! And yes, there were a few musical type folks there - kind of a crusty crew there, right? And those greens...those greens...mmmm....I told her (Mona) she needed to make twice as much next time.

Looking forward to doing this again brother! :clap2:

Love the pix - thanks for putting 'em up! :thumb:

Looking good! Ready to get there myself and join in on the fun

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• Thanks
^^^And yes, there were a few musical type folks there - kind of a crusty crew there, right? :thumb:

I guess some might think that. They all kinda looked like me and the friends I have. Lol. I felt right at home with those guys!!! It was so funny, we were all sittin there and they were tripping on my skynyrd shirt and one of them says, soo, I take it your a Lynyard skynyrd fan so i pulled out my left arm and showed them my tattoo I got when I was 18 years old.
They all just started laughing.

ena9utu5.jpg

Back