• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

"georgia" ham request

slammmed

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So after watching the last bbq pitmasters where they did "georgia style salmon" :crazy: I really became interested in the hams and would love to do some for easter.

anyone got any recipes? I loved the look of that bbq glaze but thats something I don't have a recipe for? Any tips/tricks from peeps out there? We'll be at the park all day and figured eating around 3-4pm so im thinking I can get the meat on the pit around 9am is that enough time to do a fresh ham?

Same as a butt, EXCEPT monitor the temps closely. Whereas a butt is fine way into the 200's, that fresh ham needs to come off at 195, even 190 possibly. Inject the dickens out of it.

What kind of injection would you use on a ham? I'm thinking about doing the same this sunday.

I'm interested in cured Hams and what to inject. I have found a lot of glaze recipes online that sound good.

FYI: they weren't using cured hams. These were "green" or "fresh". This is BBQ afterall...

By the way, you put more injection in a fresh/green ham than you might in a butt because there's significantly less fat in the ham vs. a butt. That's also why the temperature difference. They can become dry if overcooked.

I would not inject anything into a cured ham

thats why I asked if they were green or not

Actually, I think I might try injecting with a salt free solution sometime though. Similar in ingredients to what I use in my glaze. It would be an experiment to try on one that wasn't for a special dinner occasion though.

Thanks, I'm a REC TEC rookie, actually just had it deliver today. It seems that the rule then is don't inject anything, rub only. Except in a hand full of special cases.

Thanks, I'm a REC TEC rookie, actually just had it deliver today. It seems that the rule then is don't inject anything, rub only. Except in a hand full of special cases.

Not a problem, but no. You can inject nearly anything... That said, cured ham ain't BBQ. It's cured.

For BBQ, I've been known to inject fowl (chicken, turkey, etc.), beef (briskets, chuckies, etc.), pork (fresh hams, butts, picnic's, whole shoulders, etc.). They were all rubbed.

I'm interested in cured Hams and what to inject. I have found a lot of glaze recipes online that sound good.

As some here have said, prob stay clear of cured hams for BBQ. Green hams will allow you to inject and smoke as you might a butt. Watch temps (again as others here have said) as you'll want to pull the hams before they hit that 200 mark.

I stumble upon this every once in a while - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=122018&postcount=14. I personally haven't done this but I eventually will. Seems like cured, fully or partially cooked hams can be injected and smoked, or as Mr. Minion says, double smoked. Sounds like an adventure - just wouldn't want to jeopardize my Easter dinner without trying it out first :becky:

I stumble upon this every once in a while - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=122018&postcount=14. I personally haven't done this but I eventually will. Seems like cured, fully or partially cooked hams can be injected and smoked, or as Mr. Minion says, double smoked. Sounds like an adventure - just wouldn't want to jeopardize my Easter dinner without trying it out first :becky:
I have used that for the last two Thanksgiving. I personally think it is great.

Back