Competition question

tx_hellraiser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I see there are a ton of different BBQ associations in Texas is there a main one that i need to join? or do they all tie in to the majors one that if you win you go to the american Royal?

Can' tell you about the differences bewtween each organization, but have been under the impression that to be considered for the Royal and Jack invites, that all four meats must be cooked, chicken, ribs, pork, brisket.

robert

The American Royal is a KCBS (not a state) contest. Some state associations sponsor contests, most don't. The two dominant sanctioning bodies are KCBS and MBN but there are a few large state-only associations like in Florida.

have been under the impression that to be considered for the Royal and Jack invites, that all four meats must be cooked, chicken, ribs, pork, brisket.

I could be very wrong, but I believe that for one or both of those invitationals, it's actually that you must cook pork, beef, and chicken. That said, for competitions that only include pork ribs, that counts toward pork.

dmp

I could be very wrong, but I believe that for one or both of those invitationals, it's actually that you must cook pork, beef, and chicken. That said, for competitions that only include pork ribs, that counts toward pork.

dmp

That is correct. The Jack and the AR require that chicken, beef, and pork (which includes ribs) be cooked. The new forms for the AR require the organizer to verify that meats from those 3 categories were cooked. Most TX BBQ contests require those 3 categories, and sometimes other types of pork are cooked (usually pulled, tho), or often fajitas (usually in S. TX).

Lynn H.

I live in Texas where we have a few associations Just wondering if one of these would where if i ever made grand champion would i get a invite to the American royal from the sounds of it i would to need to cook int he KCBS or the MBN to get that invite. something i was curious about thanks

MBN would not necessarily get an invite since those competitions are pork only for the GC. Chicken and beef are ancillaries. MIM specifically is an exception. KCBS comps definitely can count as feeders for those invitationals, as can IBCA I believe. Not sure on the others.

dmp

I live in Texas and have been competing in IBCA events for several years. IBCA events can get you invited to the American Royal from my understanding. The competitions you cook in depend on whether or not the grand champion receives an invite to the American Royal.

There are several other cooking associations as stated in an above post and they are the Central Texas BBQ Association (CTBA), Lone Star BBQ Society and Texas Gulf Coast BBQ Association.

The CTBA has different rules than the other sanctioning body so please read the rules before competing in those events.

Also, note that if you win the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo cookoff that you are automatically invited to the Jack Daniel's. The cookoff is sanctioned by the Texas Gulf Coast BBQ Association.

There are several brethren on here who have a lot more information on all the different sanctioning bodies. They may chime in at some point. If not you can look up Giant BBQ and he can help you out a lot. He is a head judge for the IBCA. Another is Texas Pepper Jelly, he was the president of the TGCBA. Texas Pepper Jelly also won the Houston competion this past year and went to the Jack Daniel's.

Hope this helps.

I live in Texas where we have a few associations Just wondering if one of these would where if i ever made grand champion would i get a invite to the American royal from the sounds of it i would to need to cook int he KCBS or the MBN to get that invite. something i was curious about thanks

look for anything titled "State Championship". I just moved back here and don't know the Royal specifics but I believe many could get you in the draw for the Jack. That being said, I don't think Texas has many slots but has quite a few bungs in the pot for the Jack. I think and don't quote me on this there are some events that will put you in line for the Royal.

As for me, I'm just trying not to finish last.

Awesome advice guys I been looking at the ones locally to me I am hoping to compete in OCT for the first time. My goal is not to be last lol.

I have one more question when all the different associations i join one and compete in the others with out joining them?

You don't have to be a member of any BBQ association in Texas to cook 99% of the cook offs they sanction. Most of the BBQ associations will have an invitational cookoff that is only for there members once a year. If you cook a sanctioned cook off you just need to follow the rules of that sanctioning body for that particular cook off. The 3 main sanctioning bodies in Texas pretty much have the same rules.

You don't have to be a member of any BBQ association in Texas to cook 99% of the cook offs they sanction. Most of the BBQ associations will have an invitational cookoff that is only for there members once a year. If you cook a sanctioned cook off you just need to follow the rules of that sanctioning body for that particular cook off. The 3 main sanctioning bodies in Texas pretty much have the same rules.
Sweet thanks for once i dont have any more questions thanks to everyone you provided answers

I live in Texas and have been competing in IBCA events for several years. IBCA events can get you invited to the American Royal from my understanding. The competitions you cook in depend on whether or not the grand champion receives an invite to the American Royal.

There are several other cooking associations as stated in an above post and they are the Central Texas BBQ Association (CTBA), Lone Star BBQ Society and Texas Gulf Coast BBQ Association.

The CTBA has different rules than the other sanctioning body so please read the rules before competing in those events.

Also, note that if you win the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo cookoff that you are automatically invited to the Jack Daniel's. The cookoff is sanctioned by the Texas Gulf Coast BBQ Association.

There are several brethren on here who have a lot more information on all the different sanctioning bodies. They may chime in at some point. If not you can look up Giant BBQ and he can help you out a lot. He is a head judge for the IBCA. Another is Texas Pepper Jelly, he was the president of the TGCBA. Texas Pepper Jelly also won the Houston competion this past year and went to the Jack Daniel's.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your input well look those guys up and take a look at the IBCA

Don't join anything in Texas..Go further south and get an MBA..(Mexican BBQ Assoc):boxing:

GC in a state championship in Texas will get you to the royal. I think a bung for the jack draw too.

look for anything titled "State Championship". I just moved back here and don't know the Royal specifics but I believe many could get you in the draw for the Jack. That being said, I don't think Texas has many slots but has quite a few bungs in the pot for the Jack. I think and don't quote me on this there are some events that will put you in line for the Royal.

As for me, I'm just trying not to finish last.

Report to The _urd. Wear your ballistic longjohns, don't be light, and don't be late.:razz:

I'l get some of this wrong as well, regarding qaulifying for invitationals....but I'm on the road and the client has had something come up and I'm held over for a day!

For the Royal: 50 teams, turn in chicken, ribs, pork, brisket
15 teams first year w/state championship proclamation the same categories
25 teams every year thereafter w/proclamation and the same categories

That's good just about everywhere, but I'm certain there are exceptions that I'm not aware of...beyond winning a GC at a major invitational that has a reciprocal agreement.

That being said, the majority of Texas sanctioning bodies can send a qualifier with three categories (chicken, ribs, brisket) but must meet the standards for team count and/or proclamations. IBCA, LSBS, TGCBCA (they've got to shorten that;), and I believe Central Texas (can't remember the acronym) all send qualifiers to the American Royal, or have in the recent past.

I believe that the same standards apply to get into the Jack draw. I don't have a day and a half to type out the rules regarding the draw process, which does contribute to making draw day special for MANY!:mrgreen:

So, to answer the original question....if the contest is from a recognized sanctioning organization or has been recognized by one of the major invitationals you have to win and the contest has to meet the standards above.

Report to The _urd. Wear your ballistic longjohns, don't be light, and don't be late.:razz:

I'l get some of this wrong as well, regarding qaulifying for invitationals....but I'm on the road and the client has had something come up and I'm held over for a day!

For the Royal: 50 teams, turn in chicken, ribs, pork, brisket
15 teams first year w/state championship proclamation the same categories
25 teams every year thereafter w/proclamation and the same categories

That's good just about everywhere, but I'm certain there are exceptions that I'm not aware of...beyond winning a GC at a major invitational that has a reciprocal agreement.

That being said, the majority of Texas sanctioning bodies can send a qualifier with three categories (chicken, ribs, brisket) but must meet the standards for team count and/or proclamations. IBCA, LSBS, TGCBCA (they've got to shorten that;), and I believe Central Texas (can't remember the acronym) all send qualifiers to the American Royal, or have in the recent past.

I believe that the same standards apply to get into the Jack draw. I don't have a day and a half to type out the rules regarding the draw process, which does contribute to making draw day special for MANY!:mrgreen:

So, to answer the original question....if the contest is from a recognized sanctioning organization or has been recognized by one of the major invitationals you have to win and the contest has to meet the standards above.
Cool thanks for the infomation just was curious about it i will start researching this more in depth hopfully we will start competing in October

Back