Plowboy Rub Samples (Update :Samples no longer available)

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I have a few samples of our Plowboy rub. Send me a PM and I'll send you a sample. The deal is that you have to try it over the next month and send me a review of what you thought. The big question is would you buy this if it was commercially available?

We are trying to perfect it and get it into shakers to sell. The batch that I have has a coarser grind of salt that I plan to use.

First come, first serve.

PM sent. Is it an all purpose rub, or specific meat rub?

Okay. That was fast. I'll go do a count. That may be all of my leftover samples.

This is our competition chicken rub. Most recent success with it was 2nd place chicken at the Missouri State Fair bbq contest. It is a great seafood rub, IMHO.

To give you guys some ideas on how to evaluate it, here's some exerpts from the PM that Thirdeye sent me. I sent samples to Thirdeye and HoDeDo prior to Christmas.

"I initially test my rubs for spice compatibility on a flour tortilla warmed in a skillet. (The tortilla is neutral but allows something for the rub to anchor to)."

"Next, I moved to pit testing. I used it on bone-in chicken breasts (some with skin and some without) and some baby back riblets. I selected white meat so the true flavor of the rub would come through. I removed the skin on some to get both tastes. I used it on the riblets to see how the flavor worked on a long cook."

Thirdeye sent me some Chili powders to try. With those, he suggested making some ground beef in a skillet and adding a little chili powder with water to get a feel for flavor and heat.

Just some ideas for you.

Dang, I started something. Better make more samples. No more until I post again. Sorry guys.

Review coming... We did Thighs and breasts yesterday and today with them... Initial take is that my testers are fans!

HoDeDo said:
Review coming... We did Thighs and breasts yesterday and today with them... Initial take is that my testers are fans!

We LOVED the chicken Andy made. Your rub is very, very good! I would definitly buy it. Andy used the rub and then we pared the chicken with Blues Hog Honey Mustard. Wonderful!

smknwhlswife said:
We LOVED the chicken Andy made. Your rub is very, very good! I would definitly buy it. Andy used the rub and then we pared the chicken with Blues Hog Honey Mustard. Wonderful!

Glad you liked it. Must have been the cook!

Thanks for the responses. Here's what I got in PM's. For now, I think this is it for samples unless someone really begs (or buys some sauce).

Batch 1 - Ready for shipping
Tedlor70 (adding to your Blues Hog order)
Ultramag
Thillin
nmayeux
bowhunter

Batch 2 - Ship later this week
jpw23
Wi-Doe-Maker
Pig Headed
Nancee
ScottD
Leeper
Tumpedover

Did I miss anyone?

Plowboy said:
Thanks for the responses. Here's what I got in PM's. For now, I think this is it for samples unless someone really begs (or buys some sauce).

Batch 1 - Ready for shipping
Tedlor70 (adding to your Blues Hog order)
Ultramag
Thillin
nmayeux
bowhunter

Batch 2 - Ship later this week
jpw23
Wi-Doe-Maker
Pig Headed
Nancee
ScottD
Leeper
Tumpedover

Did I miss anyone?

Made by the skin of my teeth:biggrin:

Can't wait.

Thanks for the sample Plowboy. Will probably test with thighs and breast (bone in) as well. I've been feeling pretty dialed in on chicken, but I'm always looking for something better.

ultramag said:
Thanks for the sample Plowboy. Will probably test with thighs and breast (bone in) as well. I've been feeling pretty dialed in on chicken, but I'm always looking for something better.

Got your PM on the Mustard Sauce, too. Will get you a shipping quote and send together.

I'd love to try it, too, if I'm not too late... PM sent... And I can review the snot out of it online all over the place. :)

cmcadams said:
I'd love to try it, too, if I'm not too late... PM sent... And I can review the snot out of it online all over the place. :)

You had me at at hello. :wink:

Todd, shoot me a quote on a "sample pack" of Blues Hog sauces and rub. 1 each of the small sauces and rub. With shipping also.

Ty

thillin said:
Todd, shoot me a quote on a "sample pack" of Blues Hog sauces and rub. 1 each of the small sauces and rub. With shipping also.

Ty

Done

Everyone is getting 1 3/4 oz of rub. Enough to get a good taste. I made a second batch tonight with a finer grain of sea salt instead of the coarse kosher. Tried it on loin center cut chops tonight. Couldn't tell the difference. The new batch looks better since the grains are more uniform.

Went out with Blues Hog today...

Thillin
Tedlor70
Ultramag

Going out tomorrow...

Nancee
Lepper
tumpedover
jpw23
scottd
pigheaded
bbqpigskin
wi-doe-maker
ReverandRed
Curt McAdams
Sean Reddy
Single Fin Smoker
Bowhunter

Did I miss anyone? You are my test kitchen. I'm looking to evaluate and develop a rub at this point. I want honest opinions at this stage. Too hot, too salty, too sweet, just right? How did you try it? What did it pair best with: chicken, ribs, steaks, etc.? You can send me your comments by email, PM, post on your own blog, or this thread. I'm not picky.

Thanks everyone for the interest. I feel like a drug dealer with my scale and baggies sitting on the coffee table in the living room. :cool:

Back