Rib Roast Appreciation Thread

The word "perfection" comes to mind. Do you mind sharing the recipe?

Here's from the OP i did on the cook. This one happened to be for the FILs b day. Sorry there's not much to the recipe...its more of a method. (I've added some extra comments in parentheses)

5 lbs boneless ribeye roast from Costco (ive learned to get larger as they eat alot of meat and i barely have enough for a French dip the next day).

I tie up round and dry brine the day before. An hour before the cook (at least an hour) lightly rub with oil and season (Oakridge Carne Crosta is good but any steak season will do fine, coffee helps with the crust color). Oven over a drip pan with beef broth @200* (or lower) for about 4-5 hrs until about 130 IT. Then tent loosely while the grill gets ready (it can be rested easily a half hour for timing purposes). This time i burned chunks of wood down to coals (i don't like to smoke them but an all wood fire adds just enough xtra). Roll the roast around until seared.

Like i said, real simple process. A good instant read thermometer makes it real easy.

Was going to buy a boneless roast at Sam's but my local butcher had a sale for only $1 more a pound and the marbling looked really good. Can't wait to pick it up Friday.

Going to dry brine then rub then reverse sear

Glad I found this. All the pics and info are great. I'm looking forward to Christmas now.
I got a 5 1/2 pounder yesterday and our weather is suppose to be nice.

What internal finished temp do people serve for rare meat eaters. I typically eat my steaks very rare as does the family but I don't want to serve raw prime rib. I was going to reverse sear at 225 to 117 IT 30 min rest then get a good crust on grill grates at 450 2-3 minutes a side

What internal finished temp do people serve for rare meat eaters. I typically eat my steaks very rare as does the family but I don't want to serve raw prime rib. I was going to reverse sear at 225 to 117 IT 30 min rest then get a good crust on grill grates at 450 2-3 minutes a side

Reverse sear yes.
Cook low as you comfortably can (pit temp)

My rule of thumb is 5° higher for roasts than steaks. So i cook my steak to 125° and my roast to break to be 130°.

I just like my roast a bit more done.

I cook low enough as there is no carryover.

My roast above was finished under 200° to an internal temp of 130 it, rested 30 min and seared to high hell

I typically find that the IT increases about 10* during my 30-minute rest. This will depend on many factors, but I think that's a good rule of thumb. I generally remove my roast at IT a bit above 120* up to 125* and I do a sear after the rest as I like the crunchy bits. I have removed a bit lower than 120* and had a very rare roast and was asked to put it on longer. I will echo what Ninja says. I also like my roasts cooked a bit more than my steaks. The reason is that the fat renders more. The product is bit juicier with less jelly bits. It's primarily a texture thing.

That's beautiful and inspirational. With choice rib roasts varying from 5.99-12.99# according to a friends phone call- I must go shopping.

People who ate with you were blessed.

I'm going to say something a bit sacrilegious ... I like my prime rib in the oven without smoke. :shock:

I'm going to cook mine inside using my convection oven @ 225 degrees, take it out at ~125 ... crank the convection broiler to 500 and let her sear for ~5 minutes or until I am happy with the crust.

I'm mostly following meathead's method:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html

I've been dry aging a beautiful choice roast in my dry bag for a couple weeks. I had prime sitting next to the choice at Costco, and I was amazed at how much intramuscular fat this choice roast had and couldn't justify going for prime. We'll see how the results turn out!

^^^ya i go oven too but this year im going to try sous vide.

Either way i like to finish over a screaming hot bed of wood coals. Gives it that flame broiled taste, like buger king

What is everyone's favorite seasonings or rubs to go with prime rib?
I have some Oar Ridge Black ops...Has anyone ever used this? I have never used Black Ops before. Do you think it would work well?

Thanks,

They all look good. Just picked up a 7 bone 17 pounder for this weekend. May be forced to be an oven cook but it will still be good. We like to garlic spear and use an Aujus powder rub. MSD is the cook this year and I am trying to talk her into adding ground porcinni to the rub with S&P and .......... Some flame action!

I did a smaller on on the Weber with Roto and apple chunks a few months ago and loved it!

I'm going to say something a bit sacrilegious ... I like my prime rib in the oven without smoke. :shock:

Not at all. There will not be as much smoke on mine as there is on my ribs or butts. It will have more of a "grilled" taste then a smoke. Stubbs has a pretty good flavor by itself.

Here's a question, does it have to be tied?

I ain't mad at that! I love 'em smoked, but where I'm at this year that's not an option - ain't nuthin' wrong with an oven cooked prime rib. Doing a 13.5#er for Xmas like that and looking forward to it!

Not at all. There will not be as much smoke on mine as there is on my ribs or butts. It will have more of a "grilled" taste then a smoke. Stubbs has a pretty good flavor by itself.

Here's a question, does it have to be tied?

My understanding is that you tie when the bones are separated from the roast prior to cooking - they are then tied back on for the cook and it's easier to deal with when carving. I'm a lazy sumbich so I just leave the bones on & just cut across them laterally when it's time to carve. Leaving a little meat there on the bones makes for some pretty dang good gnawing later on...

Gotcha. Mine is boneless. When I called the butcher shop the guy sounded panicked. He asked how big and bone-in or boneless. I told him 4-5 lb and bone was irrelevant, as long as I got a roast. He said he had a lot of prime rib going out. I ended up with 5 1/2 boneless.

I have seen ribeye steaks want to separate when on the grill. That would be my only concern with tying .

Back