Cold smoked eggs?

Clayfish

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Mum just sent me a link to this company in New Zealand which is cold smoking eggs (Manuka is the go-to native wood for smoking in NZ).4

http://www.nzmanukaeggs.co.nz/

[ame="http://vimeo.com/17312457"]NZ MANUKA EGGS on Vimeo[/ame]

http://sundayhotpants.nocturne.net.nz/post/350369663/manuka-smoked-eggs

I've done a search here on the forum and anyone who has smoked eggs seem to either hot smoke them or smoke pre-boiled eggs.

I'm going to smoke some cheese soon and wondered if it was worth throwing some eggs in as well. Has anyone tried cold smoking them and got any tips or advice?

He11 Yeah.... Made in N.Z., Something I know about at long last.. Those eggs are scrumblediddlydumchous. They are 1/2 covered in smoke, I think they hold them in some kind of wooden holder coz only the top is ever smoked.. or maybee the bottoms , I dont know. The smoke is real black, so its been long n cold. Manuka or Ti Tree is our local general purpose hardwood used for smoking, makes a strong dark smoke.

The flavour gets into the eggs so even when hard boiled or fried they taste slightly smokey. Y'all gonna either love it or loathe it.

But they is definatly done cold as they is runny inside!

Try em out, they is nice
Muzza in N.Z.

Murray, have you smoked with North American woods? Do you think that Mesquite which has a fairly strong flavor and sometimes a bitter or harsh note is close to the New Zealand Manuka wood? Or maybe Hickory, since I see Manuka is used to smoke many of the same foods as Hickory. I may have to try this with some hickory chips and hard boiled eggs. I take it they are smoked in their shell?

Added Later: Dang me, they smoke them raw. I'm all discombobulated with this one. When I cold smoke some bacon, I guess I'll set a dozen eggs in there and see how that goes.

Last edited:
Y'allknow... I once cashed in my kids inheritance and store bort a bag of mesquite chips.... Ho Hum.... also tried Jack Daniels barrel chips. .. Manuka is kind of dark heavy wood like I think mesquite is based on that 1 bag of chips. Its relative is Kanuka, (even though to the non scientist the only difference is the colour of the flowers) has a more mild taste. To us non intelligent redneck kiwis it all gets called Manuka. I wouldnt worry too much about the strength of the smoke, just leave it in longer for a weak flavoured smoke. Remember the smoke has to get thru the shell.
Yip they is done raw:clap2:, just sat in a 1/2 shell sized holder coz when you get them they are only black on one end. The black is not just a sooty coating .. its really well stuck in the egg shell.

I reckon that so long as you do em cold there is no wrong way.... dont worry if you do them a bit hot and they cook in the shell ... they will be a new taste sensation.

The only thing wrong is that they make the fridge smell of pure smoke (as opposed to flavourfull rubbed meat smokey smell).. Ok for me but not for S.W.M.B.O.

HMMMM Wonder if I could post some over... probly not.

Regds
Muzza in N.Z.

Cool, I'm starting some more pork bellies this weekend. When they are done curing, I'll try to remember to put a dozen or so eggs on the grill with them. I am in the Philippines, so I don't have a lot of hickory on hand at the moment, so they may get a fairly short smoke this time around. I have a box of hickory and cherry wood coming so if the short smoke is good, I'll give them a longer run the second time.

SO gotta convert the spare fridge into a smoker. Can cold smoke bacon and eggs at fridge temps and not have to worry about spoilage.

Back