Brisket Rub???

You may find this helpful...I know I did! These are the notes I took during the comp brisket round table Rempe did over a year ago.

3/30/10 - BBQ Central Radio Central Show
Brisket Roundtable Notes:
rg - rod gray, pellet envy
dw - darren warth, iowa smokey d's
sf - steve farrin, i smell smoke

dw cooks on a wsm and fec100
whole packers - rg buys swift choice cert angus 15# wp's
number - all cook 2 briskets at comp
selection - good marbling, flexible, thick even flat
trimming - cook whole, trim a lot of fat off point, very little off flat
injection - rg and dw both use butchers injection
precook - brisket on cooker cold, rub minimum 4 hrs before cook
rub - dw & rg use smokin' guns hot rub, rg uses sgh on 3 of 4 categories, dw uses sgh on all categories
cook - dw starts on wsm for 2 hours then onto fec100, rg puts on at 3 am.
wood - rg - pecan, dw - cherry, sf - pecan/cherry mix
temp - dw 245/250, sf 250, rg 275
mop/baste - all none, leave em alone for first 4 hours
foil - all foil, rg wraps after 4 hours, above 170 good bark, rg add 1/4 cup beer mop from smoke spice cookbook, dw uses 1/2 pbr and half worst sauce, sf uses stubbs beef marinade
temp - above 198 start using probe and go by feel, rg "my probe needs glide in and out with almost no resistance."
burnt ends - all put them in the box but only if good
holding - rg & sf wants brisket off between 9 and 10 am and in cambro, sf lets brisket rest for 1/2 hr before going into cambro
boxes - sf parsley, dw parsley/let combo, rg parsley - amounts, all put in 6 to 10 slices with burnt ends - box full of meat!!!
slicing - all slices from middle of brisket flat from point back
saucing - rg blues hog mixed w/ some head country bbq sauce for brisket, sauces only the top of the flat, nothing on the face, spritzs with water for look of moisture, wants the product turned in as fast and hot as possible.

Kosmo's Cow Cover with a chaser of 3 EyZ on top for us has provided pretty good results.

I know we're new on the market, but our Comp. Beef & Pork rub has already landed many top ten calls on brisket for our sponsored teams. As a matter of fact, we're sneaking up on almost 100 top-ten calls since just this past August when we started sponsoring teams...

2010/2011 Contest Results Summary Spreadsheet

Just something to think about.

Mike

Bovine Bold and a little extra salt, pepper, and garlic. Great stuff, and I just need to cook it next time.

Don't worry so much about the rub. Worry about technique. Any decent rub can win.. including a straight salt and pepper rub with proper cooking technique.

Don't worry so much about the rub. Worry about technique. Any decent rub can win.. including a straight salt and pepper rub with proper cooking technique.

I never used to think that and I experimented with a ton of rubs hoping to find the "one" for brisket. Now, I don't think it matters that much for pork or brisket since most of the flavor is going into the meat from the injection and then onto the meat from the sauce. I don't feel the same way about rubs on chicken and ribs since it has much more of a chance to be noticed.

Back