how thick to slice brisket

eagle697

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I cooked my first brisket yesterday. I had to slice it into 1/3 inch thick slices to keep it from falling apart. Is this too tender for comp? I thought it was but wanted to check. I love the taste and smoke ring, just was concerned about texture. thanks.

In judging class, they say about a pencil thick piece.

They said if it is thicker than that, the cook may be hiding the fact it is over cooked. Thinner than that, the cook may be hiding the fact it is under cooked.

From what I learned in my CBJ class, it should be about the thickness of a pencil... I was told a while back (about 10 years) that you should be able to hold one end in each hand and it should take a little (but not to much) to pull it apart....

A pencil width is about 1/4".
Yup and for KCBS that's what I would do.

FYI - if it's a little overdone then change the angle just 10 degrees or so rather than cutting directly against the grain. If underdone nuke it in a charcoal fired microwave or else there's not a lot you can do other than slice to 1/8 or so. Smart judges know a real thin slice is underdone and will be extra critical of how it feels on the tongue.

Saw this online elsewhere :eek: and just thought I'd share for those who many not have seen it. :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_2429.jpg
    IMG_2429.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 158
FYI - if it's a little overdone then change the angle just 10 degrees or so rather than cutting directly against the grain. .

That is a very interesting tip. I learned something new today and I hope others do too!

Saw this online elsewhere :eek: and just thought I'd share for those who many not have seen it. :confused:

Oh my God, that was hugely funny!!!
There was a team in W'loo that cut slices with the grain, mighty chewy!!
ModelMaker

Oh my God, that was hugely funny!!!
There was a team in W'loo that cut slices with the grain, mighty chewy!!
ModelMaker

We actually had an entry of undercooked brisket that was sliced with the grain in 2006.
You literally could not gnaw a bite off of it! :lol:
You had to just "suck off the sauce" to get a taste :oops:
I showed the REP, just to validate my score.
He just shook his head and said...."right on".:oops:
Was sad for the team, but chit happens.

Cutting on a bias works really to correct the perception of overcooked as opposed to thicker slices. As long as it is "subtle"....works fine. "Tricks of the trade" sometimes :oops:

TIM

Aww man that picture was hilarious they must have have thought that was meatloaf and they had the marbles to take a picture.

Chris, This was a great question. If you keep asking questions like this I might be able to beat you. I have sliced about 1/8 inch thick. Just like i would on a grilled flank steak. Not that I was trying to compensate for an undercooked brisket...just thought it looked better. It always seemed "too" tender.

BTW...my app is in at Smoke on the water Bickleys lake(Ga) and will be in to the Barnesville(Ga) BBQ & Blues this time next week. Looking forward to cooking with you.

Not that they're supposed to take it into account but cutting on an angle as Ford suggests also gives the appearance of a wider smoke ring, which looks nice regardless.

EDIT: Oops... I misread what Ford was saying to do. Never mind. I bring nothing to the table here. :lol:

Last edited:
The real question would be which pencil? A round one or the hex shaped?

I think the cook of the picture here used the Big Chief Tablet pencil as a recommended width.

In Texas they say a #2 pencil. They can vary greatly as the lead is the # factor not the wood.

So I'm thinking....this wouldn't work..:p

giantpencilmg4.jpg

I actually have that pencil. Don't think I would cut anything that thick, but the eraser worked great for taking pencil markings off the wall last night:)

dmp

Back