Weak flavor on Pellet Grill

Thanks Plowboy. You ever use the Fast Eddy pellets? They've got lots of good press in the forum.

Yup. Have several bags here at the house. They are REALLY long. You gotta break them up before you use them in a Traeger grill. Otherwise they can jam in the auger. Awesome smoke though and little ash.

Brian,
Do I get the feeling your going to have a traeger up for sale soon? Let me be first in line if it happens. Anyway I'm trying to get my traeger up and running. I guess I need to do a search on pellets. It looks as though there is some info I need to read.

Looks like Todd made it here about 15 min before me! I was going to say the same thing. Branch Creek (Epps Farm) pellets rock also, but are harder to find. He's having more and more trouble getting the wood products he needs for production.

I've got this great tool that breaks up the pellets... it's Todd!!!:twisted: He really likes it when you tell him 1/4" or smaller, and break out the micrometer.:icon_sleepy

As a side note - how long have you had your 570..... there was a manufacturing flaw, and your paddlewheel might be slipping with the larger pellets. The shaft in the original units auger motor was too short, and caused the paddle wheel to fail. I've never had a problem with mine -- until I used the eddy pellets. They are GREAT pellets for flavor, but they are designed to work well in his style cooker... they are a little "too tough" for the paddle wheel cookers. At any rate, had both my paddle wheels fail, and Todd's did also.... I attribute it to large size, dense pellets. Might be that... so letme know if you need help with it. Where did you get yours? Feldmans? KCK/BBQ Bonanza?

Looks like Todd made it here about 15 min before me! I was going to say the same thing. Branch Creek (Epps Farm) pellets rock also, but are harder to find. He's having more and more trouble getting the wood products he needs for production.

I've got this great tool that breaks up the pellets... it's Todd!!!:twisted: He really likes it when you tell him 1/4" or smaller, and break out the micrometer.:icon_sleepy

As a side note - how long have you had your 570..... there was a manufacturing flaw, and your paddlewheel might be slipping with the larger pellets. The shaft in the original units auger motor was too short, and caused the paddle wheel to fail. I've never had a problem with mine -- until I used the eddy pellets. They are GREAT pellets for flavor, but they are designed to work well in his style cooker... they are a little "too tough" for the paddle wheel cookers. At any rate, had both my paddle wheels fail, and Todd's did also.... I attribute it to large size, dense pellets. Might be that... so letme know if you need help with it. Where did you get yours? Feldmans? KCK/BBQ Bonanza?

Got the 570 in mid May this year from Bob @ BBQ Bonanza. Have not had any problem with the wheel as far as I can tell and Bob thought he had changed out all of the bad motors.

Sounds though like I have 300# of pellets that have good flavor but must be broken down to be used in a CS grill. Bummer!:icon_frow

I have tried the Branch Creek (mesquite) and they left a LOT of residue and eventually choked out the fire because of all the ash.

Got the 570 in mid May this year from Bob @ BBQ Bonanza. Have not had any problem with the wheel as far as I can tell and Bob thought he had changed out all of the bad motors.

Sounds though like I have 300# of pellets that have good flavor but must be broken down to be used in a CS grill. Bummer!:icon_frow

I have tried the Branch Creek (mesquite) and they left a LOT of residue and eventually choked out the fire because of all the ash.

If you have the new motor... and if you got it in May you should - Bob did try to swap them all out of the standard cookers. The Eddy pellets shouldnt have a problem in the CS with the new motor. Used them at least half the season in my Whole Hog until Bobby got rolling with the BBQ'r delight pellets.

That why I do straight wood no mechanical part to go wrong. This might sound crazy but I really enjoy night cook getting up and putting wood on I even like cold night or warm night when you can sit out with your cooker. that why I like BBQ.

That why I do straight wood no mechanical part to go wrong. This might sound crazy but I really enjoy night cook getting up and putting wood on I even like cold night or warm night when you can sit out with your cooker. that why I like BBQ.

I like using pure wood, too. None of that Kingsford crap for me. That stuff has all kinds of binders and poisons. Lil stick burners rule!! :mrgreen:

If you have the new motor... and if you got it in May you should - Bob did try to swap them all out of the standard cookers. The Eddy pellets shouldnt have a problem in the CS with the new motor. Used them at least half the season in my Whole Hog until Bobby got rolling with the BBQ'r delight pellets.

Tried the FE pellets all morning. Eratic and inconsistent temperatures. Did rewire the temperature controller's low alarm contact to the hot rod. Good thing because with the FE pellets, the fire went out a couple of times. Emptied the hopper and refilled with bbq delight, unit maintains setpoint within 4 or 5 degrees.

The longer pellets just don't feed at a steady pace. I could hear them breaking against the paddle wheel & housing. My dad is having the same problem on his 570 with them so we're going to give up on the FE pellets. Too bad because they had such good reviews. They're obviously designed for a different feed mechanism. Live & learn, but never give up!!

Appreciate all the good ideas & suggestions.:!:

Back