Beef Cheek Barbacoa on the High Plains - w/ Pr0n

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm incredibly thankful for a weekend. Awoke early and NEEDED menudo. Handled that. Munchkin thrilled. That took me towards Mexican for dinner instead of the rib tips I'd planned.

SteveKing's Barbacoa Recipe started calling my name.

Instead of a chuckie, I wanted beef cheeks.

6JzSmlfl.jpg

Called on the 22.5 Kettle w/ lump and hickory.

Hv7hCnGl.jpg

nCKY1yZl.jpg

Whipped up the braising liquid & spice mixture.

AHmoOqPl.jpg

All the kids in the pool!

6Ti2yifl.jpg

That's sealed up in foil, in a 350F oven for a couple of hours while the NFL playoffs roll on the telly.

Meanwhile, CINCHOUSE asked me to recreate a wings sauce I last made in Wicken, East Cambridgeshire for the Christmas Fair:

X7R4c5t.png

Homemade cranberry sauce, orange marmelade, whisky, lemon juice, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves.... then minced habaneros/Scotch Bonnets until it's too spicy when temperature hot (it'll calm down when the temp fades).

n7rUEWVl.jpg

More on that tomorrow.

Oh yeah... what about this 2LB Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage Chub!?

I decided it should be "Christmas" all over again... with a half-red chile / half-green chile rub on this baby.

Z7yQj6sl.jpg

Meanwhile, this Knob Creek Rye Double-Old Fashioned isn't going to drink itself.

More to follow.

Kind regards and thin blue.

Hey Marc,

I'll be following this closely, it looks great so far! I'd love to try beef cheeks, the only place that sells them around me is RD and I'd rather not buy 10 Lbs to "try".....

Thanks,
Greg

I'd love to try beef cheeks, the only place that sells them around me is RD and I'd rather not buy 10 Lbs to "try"

Really!? That's frustrating. :cry: I can only get beef cheeks from Walmart, and in these more reasonable packages.

Sip a pour for me. Tweaked a knee recently so been after Tylenol bottle. Your menu is top shelf. Cheers

Looks fantastic Marc!

Waiting on the phone to ring with me invitation....

Stilllll waiting...

Sip a pour for me. Tweaked a knee recently so been after Tylenol bottle.

Hang in there, brother. Thought I noticed a brace/support in a photo this week.

That food looks like its going to be a stunning meal, love the look of the sauce

Cheers, Titch! I think the Rocket would be right up your alley.

Waiting on the phone to ring with me invitation...

Working on the Spring SW Bash options as next step in the ABQ area. Hollar if you're in the vicinity. Would be happy to see you!

Hey Marc,

I'll be following this closely, it looks great so far! I'd love to try beef cheeks, the only place that sells them around me is RD and I'd rather not buy 10 Lbs to "try".....

Thanks,
Greg

Check Wally World, that's where I usually find them.

The way this cook is shaping up it's going to be good eats at the homestead tonight. Will time in for the finished plate.

Really!? That's frustrating. :cry: I can only get beef cheeks from Walmart, and in these more reasonable packages.

Marc,

Thanks for the info... never checked Walmart, I will because at this point I have nothing to loose...

Thanks
Greg

CINCHOUSE made a batch of Calabacitas using some squash, garlic, and onion.

HI5R0vnl.jpg

Homemade guac really set the stage and pulled it together (especially with a quick squeeze of lime).
Queso Fresco and pickled onions helped cut though the richness.

Munchkin came back for seconds on this! She exclaimed her love for both the barbacoa and calabacitas with an extra taco, each! She must have a hollow leg!

Thanks for hanging with me, folks. We ate well, and have leftovers through the week (happy Momma).

Kind regards to you all.

For the record, we had some bitter orange-pickled red onions from the cochinita pibil, and CINCHOUSE said she loaded up her last taco with those to cut through the richness of the barbacoa.

Might be worth looking into. - It's literally thinly sliced onions in bitter orange juice.

Dat looks DIVINE! I was VERY UNHAPPY when JD stopped selling the 3 lb. sausage packs!!!:boxing::tsk::crazy::mmph:

Marc that looks amazing. I love beef cheeks. I need to try this. I normally dredge in seasoned flour. Brown them using butter and put it in a covered dish with pork gravy onions and carrots and bake at 350 for a couple hours. Serve over rice. Amazing
What was the temperature of the cheeks when you took them off the grill

Last edited:
I normally dredge in seasoned flour. Brown them using butter and put it in a covered dish with pork gravy onions and carrots and bake at 350 for a couple hours. Serve over rice.
What was the temperature of the cheeks when you took them off the grill

This sounds delicious, George!

I smoked the cheeks until the biggest one was at 160F internal. I didn't temp the two smaller cheeks, but they were significantly higher. I stole a nibble or two as I put 'em in the pan. It was GOOD.

Love me some barbacoa. I have used that recipe and always get rave reviews! I have only used chuck...keeping my eye out for some cheeks.

Thanks...on the idea for the onions.

Back