Dutch Oven Bierocks (aka Runzas)

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Baby Back Maniac’s thread about visiting Nebraska and having a Runza reminded me that I hadn’t made these in quite a while. I had to remedy that and made another batch today to enjoy watching the Husker’s game. I followed Cowgirl’s recipe with very little changes. Here’s a link to a thread of my first attempt making these where the recipe can be found.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216834&highlight=bierocks

Started out making up the dough.

After prepping all the ingredients I took them all out to my gas side burner.

Sweated the onion and added the hamburger.

After the hamburger was mostly browned I added the salt, pepper and cabbage and cooked until it wilted.

To say the dough had risen was an understatement.

Rolled it out into a log and cut it into 7 roughly equal pieces

and formed each piece into a ball.

I then rolled each piece into an approximate 7” round and placed 2 giant spoonfuls in the center.

I folded up the edges and pitched them together

and placed each into my camp Dutch Oven that I had already smeared with butter flavor Crisco.

I repeated this process until it was full.

I then lit some briquettes in my chimney and waited until they were ready.

I prepped my kamado as a Dutch Oven table and placed 10 briquettes on the bottom

and 20 briquettes on the top.

I then closed the lid with the vents fully open and let this bake for 35 minutes.

And here is the result.

I carefully cut around each one and plated one up with 1/2 a pickle, some pickled carrots and a Stone Brewing Xocoveza Mocha Stout.

Yum!

Even though my game didn’t end the way I would’ve wished, we ate some delicious food and drank a really great beer.

Thanks for looking.

Thank you Titch. Unfortunately no they didn't. They made it interesting with a chance to tie with 3 minutes left, but then threw an interception to end any hope of winning.

Nailed it DH! The Xocoveza is one of the best I've had from Stone. :thumb:

Husker - yet another absolutely beautiful cook! I'm positively drooling here in OKC. Please pass a plate and a fresh bib. Kudos and congrats on this cook.

P.S. I'll personally lead the movement to get the Nebraska Corn Huskers back in the Big 12. We miss you guys!

Thank you Marty

Thank you bluetang

Thank you Peter. Living in Omaha, I imagine you can get them anytime you want.
I get them for lunch pretty often. Much better than MacDonald's and Burger King. Yours look much better than the fast food version. I need to make some on my own

Never heard of those. Looks really good DH. I'd like one with a little Jack cheese in it. Or three...

This is a thing of beauty:

36296582764_cbe220d6d7_b.jpg

Great job, Jeff! I wonder how they would taste if you substituted a lean chorizo for the ground beef?

Husker - yet another absolutely beautiful cook! I'm positively drooling here in OKC. Please pass a plate and a fresh bib. Kudos and congrats on this cook.
P.S. I'll personally lead the movement to get the Nebraska Corn Huskers back in the Big 12. We miss you guys!
Thank you CC. I'd love to renew the NU vs. OU rivalry game but the going back to the BIG 12 ship has sailed. (Plus it would be a drastic cut in pay)
Poor me .........
Thank you MountainMan
Now I have to make a batch of Runzas.

That is some good looking grub!
Thank you HumboltSmoke

Back