View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
Okie Sawbones
Okie Sawbones's Avatar
Join Date: 09-03-13
Location: Edgewood, TX

Oh, one other thing. Have you ever wondered why docs say not to feed honey to an infant? Spores of Clostridium botulinum bacteria, found in dirt and dust, can contaminate honey. These bacteria are harmless to older kids and adults because their mature digestive systems can move the spores through the body before they cause any harm. But very young babies haven't developed the ability to handle the spores yet. So if an infant ingests them, the bacteria germinate, multiply, and produce a toxin. That toxin interferes with the normal interaction between the muscles and nerves and can hamper an infant's ability to move, eat, and breathe.

Bottom line, adults pass spores, infants don't. Don't confuse spores with toxin, which will get you at any age.
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->