UDS first cooks with pictures

Old Smoke

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
After completing my UDS in March, I did the first of 2 cooks, one day apart. I took photos of the 1st but not of the 2nd. The first cook was 2 fatties, one with a bacon weave and one without and I tossed a couple of pork steaks on near the end. The 2nd cook was 2 racks of ribs with the same results.The flavor was good BUT everything was dry. :doh: Being a "first timer" I was having trouble with fire management so everything cooked waaay too fast. With a little help from my brethren friends I think I have figured out the fire management (too much exhaust) I have also figured out how to post pictures, Thanks to all :-D.
I am not proud of this cook and only post these pictures so that other "first timers" can see that sometimes the 1st cook does not always produce greatness. I can't wait for some decent weather to try this again and maybe better results. :-D

001.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

Thanks for the post, Old Smoke. I was considering adding some more exhaust vents to my kettle lid (1 more 4-hole wheel) but may reconsider now due to your post. I am worried about the creosote/stale smoke taste from too little exhaust, but never thought about it drying out due to too much exhaust. I'll wait to mod until after the first smoke.

Great looking drum Rick! Also a fine job on the bacon weave.
I think I see a room for my tent in your back yard. :becky: lol

Thanks for the post, Old Smoke. I was considering adding some more exhaust vents to my kettle lid (1 more 4-hole wheel) but may reconsider now due to your post. I am worried about the creosote/stale smoke taste from too little exhaust, but never thought about it drying out due to too much exhaust. I'll wait to mod until after the first smoke.

Mc Gurk Thanks for lookin' When I was building my UDS, I figured if 1 was good, 2 would be better and 4 would be great. (ya know the guy thing). :doh: From what I have read here, too much exhaust allows the fire to draw additional air from the top and is tougher to control the temps inside the drum. That was what happened to me. I'll leave all but 1 vent closed next time. I think that will fix my problem.

Great looking drum Rick! Also a fine job on the bacon weave.
I think I see a room for my tent in your back yard. :becky: lol

Thanks...any time there is always room for a tent.:becky: But he backyard has been cleaned up since that pic was taken.. :redface:

I agree a real nice looking Drum.. The more mistakes, the more time you'll have to try again to get it right.. I'll be glad to sample your mistakes and give ya a run down on what went wrong,, just send em to me overnight, (grins)...

Thanks to all for the support :-D

I plan on doing this until I get it right. Stay tuned for "more film @ eleven"

AND

I might need help getting rid of the the mistakes.

I agree a real nice looking Drum.. The more mistakes, the more time you'll have to try again to get it right.. I'll be glad to sample your mistakes and give ya a run down on what went wrong,, just send em to me overnight, (grins)...

So Bushwacker heads up for overnight delivery :becky:

Back