Homemade Reverse Flow...

J

jgibb

Just took delivery of my homemade Reverse Flow smoker. So excited! I'm going to have my initial burn on Friday (overnight) then Saturday night will start the Brisket and ribs for my couriers. It has a large fire box but a small door, so I need to figure out how to get my coals from my chimney into a pile of briquettes. I'm thinking some kind of flat funnel delivery system. I have all week to figure that out. :biggrin1:

Attachments

• IMG_0859.jpg
    IMG_0859.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 105
Sweet, love the "Tom Terrific" rain cap. Why not just cook with wood; light a fire with kindling and add a few splits, build a coal bed - you have plenty of firebox and I bet you will be up to temp in 30-45 minutes easy.:clap:

The man who made it said the same thing...I guess the question is, which is better? Briquettes are easier to get, but the flavor of apple wood or hickory is so darn fabulous...decisions, decisions...

When you learn to cook with real wood, you will never go back to anything else; the taste, texture and appearance can't be duplicated. I bet if you look around a little in your home town you can find a supplier for restaurants and pizza joints with wood-fired ovens where you can get 40-50 lb bage of splits. I use hickory but you will be happy with any good dry hardwood or fruitwood.

I'm not above snooping, sneaking and begging for wood splits! I'm definitely going to be looking for that now. Thanks for the advice. :thumb:

Nice smoker, you can use charcoal to start the fire but you need to cook with all wood. I just started using a reverse flow smoker with all wood .You wouldn't belive the difference in smoke ring and taste . Got to try all wood .

Sold! Do I need a rack to put the wood on or can I just put it directly into the box?

And do I still keep it at 225?

Sorry for all these questions, but I want to do it right and you all are THE best!

Sold! Do I need a rack to put the wood on or can I just put it directly into the box?

You definitely need a grate for the wood to burn on. If you burn the wood on the bottom of the firebox, it will not last as long. I would ask the guy that built the pit to fab you up a fire grate. I made mine from scrap angle iron.

And do I still keep it at 225?

Sorry for all these questions, but I want to do it right and you all are THE best!

When I first started smoking, I thought that 225*F was the best temp. Now, I use 275*F as my target temps for pork. For turkey and brisket, my target temp is 325*F. You will get the same results with the higher temps, but it will significantly reduce your cook times.

OK, so sounds like i need to test a lot... oh darn! Brisket is my favorite so far and def is my husband's favorite, along with Ribs, Wings, and pulled pork. I think that's why he bought me this! :)

Back