took a trip for lunch! long

2Fat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
We were jonesing for a bbq lunch that wasn't cooked at home so Lori(wife) and I decided a road trip was in order.
Left Central Wisc thursday morn and headed south along the Miss river with the idea of having a Friday lunch @ the Blues Hog Cafe in Perry Mo.
Thurs Nite ate at a "mexican " joint in Keokuk, Ia--my standard order always includes a chile relleno--this one was a pepper stuffed with Iowa loose meat and wrapped in a fried egg!!!! Actually was tastee but sure not my definition of a "real" stuffed chile but we were in Iowa ya know

After a "motel" breakfast headed out to Bills joint--got there just about lunch time, called Bill & ordered lunch. I always order brisket when out for bbq and Lori always orders a pork sandwich. Both were 1st rate--brisket thick and juicy and the pork was pulled and smoked nicely!!

Had a good time visiting, picked up a few lbs of rub and some gallons of Bill's fine sauces--saved postage yaknow<sf>

Since we were in Mo already decided to head towards Rolla to visit--no bbq but a fine steak at Zeno's.

After saying goodbye to friends later Sat headed NW--after a few hrs cruising came upon a bbq==Chuckwagon BBQ methinks--the briskets was shaved--tasted OK-with sauce<sf> but the desserts were outstanding!! Coconut creme pie was so good had to have another slice along with some chocollate pie too!!!

The rest of the trip(2200miles total) was filled with motel breakfasts and bar burgers during the day throughout Kansas, Nebraska Iowa and Minn---and now it is back to the foundry

see ya

Buzz

Dude....you was that close to us central MoFos and you didn't give us a holler? Shame on you! I'd have met you at Bill's for lunch, and picked up the check!

Glad you had a good trip!

2Fat said:
After saying goodbye to friends later Sat headed NW--after a few hrs cruising came upon a bbq==Chuckwagon BBQ methinks--the briskets was shaved--tasted OK-with sauce<sf> but the desserts were outstanding!! Coconut creme pie was so good had to have another slice along with some chocollate pie too!!!

What's shaved brisket?

Buzz,
Great report!

Side story--Karen's parents retired in the area here about 20 years ago. They use to "go to breakfast"--wind up 200 to 300 miles away and 3 days to get home :twisted:
GrandKiddos finally refused to "go to breakfast" with Gramps and Granny Lou :lol:

Sounds like there are still some places out there that still make and sell quality Que to the public.
Getting harder and harder to find with the chains taking over.
Glad you found them :lol: :lol:

Thanks a Million!

TIM

[quote="BrooklynQ
What's shaved brisket?[/quote]

Sliced really thin---really really thin but the slices held together!<sf>

Buzz

Re: RE: took a trip for lunch! long

Solidkick said:
Dude....you was that close to us central MoFos and you didn't give us a holler? Shame on you! I'd have met you at Bill's for lunch, and picked up the check!
That would have been a good idea for sure!! Kinda got a last minute ok for a couple days off on a weekend without a contest in the midwest!

Also got the opportunity to cut some willd chery trees for some fresh cooking wood----and a small case of poison ivy too

Lunch was already comp'd but ya coulda caught the rub/sauce order :lol:

see ya
Buzz

RE: Re: RE: took a trip for lunch! long

Great road trip! :D

RE: Re: RE: took a trip for lunch! long

Chuckwagon bbq? Was that around Warsaw? I agree - their stuff isn't that great although their advertising says they're the best. There's a much better place about 5 miles away!

Re: RE: Re: RE: took a trip for lunch! long

jt said:
Chuckwagon bbq? Was that around Warsaw? I agree - their stuff isn't that great although their advertising says they're the best. There's a much better place about 5 miles away!

yep think that is right--'que wasn't much but the pies were awesome! Guess its kinda like Famous Dave's--bbq sucks but the bread pudding is worth the drive---imo anyway

Buzz

Back