fatty help

grillfella

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I plan on doing my first fatty's this weekend. Can someone tell me all the ingredients I will need and a step by step process, ie how long to smoke and what wood to smoke with?:icon_shy

weber ranch kettle ,4 weber one touches, verticle drum smoker

grill- Type "Fattie" into the search engine and you will get some fantastic instructions and ingredients for fatties, Good Luck.

Les

Did you mean that you wanted to roll your own? Then Vinnie has you covered. Otherwise, I would keep it simple for the first time. Just buy a breakfast sausage chub (your favorite brand. Mine is Jimmy Dean Maple), unwrap it, toss it in the smoke, cook it until it hits 160-165 internal, slice and enjoy!

Since the sausage is pork, I usually use a fruit wood like apple, but any wood would work (except maybe mesquite).

Once you've mastered Fatty 101 then you can move on to Fatty 102 and roll the fatty in your favorite rub, or crushed crackers, or whatever feel right. Then your ready for Fatty 201. Take your basic fatty, faltten it out on a piece of plastic wrap or was paper and add the stuffing of your choice. Roll it back up, seal the seams well (especially if you have cheese inside) and cook as normal.

I would say that Fatty 301 is roll your own :-D. I've done a couple that way and they come out great, but the prepared sausage comes out so good that I don't do it often.

Having said that, here's a roll-your-own that I am going to try one day. If anyone tries it, let me know how it tastes (if its good make sure that you give me credit :-D)

Ronelle's Bratwurst Fatty

Take some store bought brats (about 6) and take off the skin. Combine all of the meat and flatten it out into a 8" x 8" rectangle. Near on end of the rectangle add some grilled onions (nicely caramelized) and some sauerkraut (optional). Roll to form a log and seal all of the edges. Cook at 225 degrees until the internal temp is 160 - 165 degrees.

RonL, I have done that several times and it is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!

Grillfella,

Don't sweat the fatty... I am not sure you can make one that won't be great!!!

I will tell you though that after trying it I will never make another fatty of any kind that I don't do 3-2-1. If you don't know that is 3 hours on the smoker, then wrap it in foil (I also spray heavily with apple juice) and put it back on the 2 more hours. Then take it off and let it rest in a cooler for 1 hour.

Some will say that is cooking the fatty too long... I won't disagree with them, but like I said, I won't do them any other way!!!

Also, Ron L... I did the bratwurst fatties stuffed with onions and green bell pepper that I sauted in butter and beer. They were farkin awesome!!!!

Hey guys, I plan on doing my first fatty's this weekend. Can someone tell me all the ingredients I will need and a step by step process, ie how long to smoke and what wood to smoke with?:icon_shy

weber ranch kettle ,4 weber one touches, verticle drum smoker

My preferred method for doing a fatty.

Head to the local mart and pick out the fatty you want. I'd suggest you then invest in at least a 12 pack of beer to marinate the fatty in, nothing to expensive, it's just a fatty. Or if you prefer some sort of hard liquor, but it's usually more expensive. Also a lot of time fatties come in two packs or more. It's best if you can separate just the one you want. I've never liked the outcome when I've done more than one fatty at once.

After you've marinated the fatty, I usually rub it down with something while I'm getting a good hot bed going. I like something a little spicy. Once it's rubbed and the bed is hot, just do the fatty for as long as you'd like. A lot of people suggest 2 - 3 hours. That's a little long for me so I usually pre-heat the fatty with a little something to get it started so I only have to really do it for 30 minutes or so. It can get kinda boring doing a fatty.

Kinda like a hot dog down a hallway too. Not all that satisfying.

Last edited:
I like Jimmy Dean sausage stuffed with string cheese, minced onions, minced garlic, roasted bell peppers (from a jar), and minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (from a can). Smoke them babies with hickory and apple. Slice 'em and serve 'em on a biscuit. MMmmmm (especially if Ron L cooked the biscuits on a smoker. Those ROCKED sir!)

My preferred method for doing a fatty.

Head to the local mart and pick out the fatty you want. I'd suggest you then invest in at least a 12 pack of beer to marinate the fatty in, nothing to expensive, it's just a fatty. Or if you prefer some sort of hard liquor you can probably get away with enough for 6 drinks, but it's usually more expensive. Also a lot of time fatties come in two packs or more. It's best if you can separate just the one you want. I've never liked the outcome when I've done more than one fatty at once.

After you've marinated the fatty, I usually rub it down with something while I'm getting a good hot bed going. I like something a little spicy. Once it's rubbed and the bed is hot, just do the fatty for as long as you'd like. A lot of people suggest 2 - 3 hours. That's a little long for me so I usually pre-heat the fatty with a little something to get it started so I only have to really do it for 30 minutes of so. It can get kinda boring doing a fatty.

Kinda like a hot dog down a hallway too. Not all that satisfying.

It's amazing how funny this is! :lol:

I did!

I did mess up a fattie, left it in too long, it got burnt, and chewy outside and the inside was oily...THATS what I get for using the safeway brand sausage...? Jimmy's was on sale here for 5.99! I told them they could keep it.

Don't get bogged down with all those messy details and instrcutions.

Here's Fatty 101:
  • Buy 1 lb. log of breakfast sausage.
  • Unwrap.
  • Place on smoker for three hours at 250.
  • Remove.
  • Eat.
Everything else is just variation of the above.

Smokin Gator...Why won't you do them any other way but the 3-2-1 method you described? And does anyone else use this method? I'm going to try a couple this weekend...Sounds Farkin Awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have not had a Fattie in awhile but laid a log this morning.

Smokin Gator...Why won't you do them any other way but the 3-2-1 method you described? And does anyone else use this method? I'm going to try a couple this weekend...Sounds Farkin Awesome!

2 reasons... first they are awesome that way... best I've ever had. Second, cause after I did them that way the first time I swore here on the site that I would NEVER cook one any other way!!! Your word is your word!!!:wink:

Don't git yourself worked up over this. Not much different than doing a burger.

Back