BBQ Brethren "Summer Hors d'ouevres and Cocktails" Throwdown!

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Summer Hors d'oeuvres and Cocktails!"[/size]
22430.jpg

Any questions?

...as chosen by caseydog, the winner of the TV Dinner Throwdown!

Here is the grand vision for this Throwdown as relayed to me by casedog...
caseydog said:
Summer Hors d'oeuvres and Cocktails

The theme is a summer cocktail party on the patio. You must create at least one appetizer, but not more than three, and make one cocktail that complements your food. Normal TD rules apply.

CD

Just remember after sampling all those cocktails that you finish cooking your food properly, and please don't forget to photograph it!:thumb:

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 8/5 through Sunday 8/14.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 8/14.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 8/15 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Saturday 8/20. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the Wing Throwdown until Sunday night 8/7 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Brisket Appreciation Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

I'm more of a vodka drinker, but I have no idea what my cocktail will be.

I wonder if biggie will make a SPAM cocktail. :crazy:

CD

I like this category.. I may even have to enter something.

Please do. It is a lot of fun, when you like the category. Those are the only ones I enter, so even when I lose, I still win, if you know what I mean.

CD

I always lost, too, until I won.

CD

Dang, this is right up my ally, I'd do a smoked bruschetta but unfortunately I can't do a traditional cocktail... seven more years. Could I do a non-acoholic cocktail? It'd take a little bit away xD but I could make a mean limeade with a cilantro garnish.

So can i go non-acoholic?

Last edited:
Dang, this is right up my ally, I'd do a smoked bruschetta but unfortunately I can't do a traditional cocktail... seven more years. Could I do a non-acoholic cocktail? It'd take a little bit away xD but I could make a mean limeade with a cilantro garnish.

Well, I'm okay with that, as it sounds like you are too young to drink. But, bigabyte is the head cheese around here.

21 minus 7... are you 14? Am I ready this wrong?

CD:confused:

Well, technically it is up to Caseydog to decide, but I think I'll go ahead and say that there is no problem entering non-alcoholic cocktails as long as they meet the spirit of a cocktail.

I join you. My cocktail be either Coke or Mt. Dew.

I join you. My cocktail be either Coke or Mt. Dew.

Is that what you plan to enter, or are you just saying that those are what you normally drink?

I have no issues with non-alcohol cocktails, but I'm thinking you won't get a lot of votes in a "Hors d'oeuvres and Cocktails" throwdown, if you enter with Coke or Mountain Dew, no matter how good your food is. Just saying.

Whip up a smoothy, or custom iced tea. There are lots of great, creative ways to make a non-alcoholic "cocktail" type beverage.

If I misunderstood your post... so sorry. :icon_blush:

CD

No worries. Yeah, I'm not a drinker. I mostly drink Coke or Mt. Dew. I wanted to show solidarity with other non-drinkers. Not implying or implicating anyone here, but sometimes it seems like the only goal in life of drinkers is to get everyone around them to drink.

You're right. I should put together a fruity lemonade or something. That is easy and taste great.

So if you make your own beer a significant portion of the process (the brewing and kegging/bottling part) has already happened. The rest is really just the pour (which of course takes some level of skill :wink:. In bounds or out of bounds :confused:.

I didn't think this would be complicated, but nothing is ever as easy as I think it will be. :rolleyes:

Okay, I did some research, and by all definitions, a cocktail is a mixed drink with two or more ingredients. Usually, one or more ingredients are alcohol, but I'm going to allow non-alcoholic cocktails.

The official definition of a Cocktail according to the modern Merriam-Webster Dictionary is "an iced drink of wine or distilled liquor mixed with flavoring ingredients."

As for beer, well, you can mix beer with other things, and make a cocktail, since there are two or more ingredients. But, beer or wine -- or even liquor -- by itself, I gotta' draw a line, and say, no.

CD

So if you make your own beer a significant portion of the process (the brewing and kegging/bottling part) has already happened. The rest is really just the pour (which of course takes some level of skill :wink:. In bounds or out of bounds :confused:.

I didn't think this would be complicated, but nothing is ever as easy as I think it will be. :rolleyes:

Okay, I did some research, and by all definitions, a cocktail is a mixed drink with two or more ingredients. Usually, one or more ingredients are alcohol, but I'm going to allow non-alcoholic cocktails.

The official definition of a Cocktail according to the modern Merriam-Webster Dictionary is "an iced drink of wine or distilled liquor mixed with flavoring ingredients."

As for beer, well, you can mix beer with other things, and make a cocktail, since there are two or more ingredients. But, beer or wine -- or even liquor -- by itself, I gotta' draw a line, and say, no.

CD

Two words. Boiler maker. Whoops, guess that should be only one word.

Allright, I'm gonna have to play nazi bartender on this one I can tell.

BRING IT ON!!! WE'VE GOT LOTS OF THESE!!!

final_dilly_bar_.jpg

Back