chunk size vs smoke quality

el luchador

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
EL Luchador
has anyone tested this to see if the size of the chunks affects smoke quality on a charcoal cooker?

ie if you use two huge chunks vs say 8 smaller chunks but exact same amount of wood - what difference does it make

I use smaller chunks on a kettle with a Smoke'nSear than I do in my WSM, just find it delivers even light smoke more easily. If the chunks are too large I find I have to ten them to fully burn evenly.

A bit smaller than fist sized chunks works best for me on the bullet. I leave the bark, it helps with the smoke ring and has not given me bitter flavours.

Depends on airflow. I use smaller chunks in my insulated cabinet than my Jimmy or 1/4" vertical. With more air I can use bigger chunks. I don't want anything to smolder too much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

I have a bunch of mesquite on hand but I don't like mesquite-its too strong- so I decided to use just a little to see if I would like it so I cut some small chips on my miter saw, about a quarter inch thick each. I also cut some pecan chips about the same size and threw some cherry chunks in there.

what I found was a thick smoke aroma but very little smoke flavor on the meat.

This is something I think should be talked about more for attaining the best smoke flavor from charcoal burners

Back