View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #34
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

I think it is pretty easy to see what they are saying without taking offense. Talking BBQ in general, but take for specific example Trigg's ribs. He says he doesn't even like them, and cooks them differently at home, but they win him money. So why do they win him money, because "certified bbq judges" have taken a class and been told they are supposed to taste a certain way. Now, a great majority of the cooks put out some version of his ribs. Personally, I'd rather taste the one's he cooks at home and actually likes. I believe the shows like Pitmasters have fostered the perception that things should taste a certain way, even if that's not really that good. Which is why competition cooks I have talked to say they cook not to put out what they think is the best tasting product, but to offend the least amount of judges. Franklin's salt and pepper and garlic brisket probably would not score well these days, but where are actual people standing in line to eat? I think that's all they are saying.....but I could be wrong...