THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
But why do they allow lollipop chicken? IMO that is marking or sculpting just as much as a brisket slice rosette? Anyone else think along these lines?

I didn't know that they did and I agree with you now that I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno...it doesn't seem much different than trimming thighs all the way down to little "pillows"...especially if they are de-boned as well. And what about trimming ribs down to St. Louis cuts? As long as it is all done before the cook I don't see a big problem with it. But then again, I am not convinced that lollipops are the best way to go for chicken. Maybe for an appetizer or open category though.

wow, I didnt know that you could actually turn those in. I dont think it would be marking as it was done pre-cook. I have turned in legs for the last 2 years and have never gotten above 13th. I think wings may be the way to go.

I think you've got an argument, but I think the rules committee has already looked at this.

I was at a rules meeting where that was discussed, and it was determined that it wasnt marking, regardless of when it was turned into lollipops. It is more of a technique.
When only one team was turning them in, I guess it could have been seen as somewhat 'identifiable', but judges nowadays can never be sure (and shouldnt be thinking about) who turns in what, especially with so many BBQ classes.

What's next? Chicken salad?

I suppose it could be seen as that but how many judges have to know that belongs to a certain team for it to matter?

Yes, it is sculpting; of that there is no doubt. I myself wonder why chicken is even
part of it (a category at all), but that's another story. Would love to see that 4th
category be beef ribs. Chicken isn't BBQ, IMHO.

Back