New Shirley 24 x 42 Patio

MFL

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My new smoker arrived Saturday night. I was able to season Sunday afternoon and also start my learning process of operating an offset. I had very good luck during the seasoning process at maintaining my target temp and hope it wasn't just beginners luck. After I was stuck at around 200 degree for a period I realized I just needed more wood and after that I was able to hold 250 pretty good. I only had Ash available and not sure if it was the type of wood, oil used for seasoning or the paint curing, but the smell was not good. I should be able to get my Oak that I will be using moving forward this weekend. I burn wood at my cabin and have around 5 full cord of Oak already split and stacked.
As you can see from the pictures the exhaust exits out of the top of the cook chamber and the firebox is also different from the 24x36.
Firebox measures 25 1/2" wide x 23" deep x 16 1/2" tall, cooking grates are 32" wide x 21 1/2" deep with 7 1/4" between grates & 8 1/2" from top grate to top of cook chamber. I decided not to get 3rd shelf as I like the spacing and the 2 shelves gives me all the room I need.
Pat

Attachments

• uQRWere6QbWZtNCwdUbWdQ.jpg
    uQRWere6QbWZtNCwdUbWdQ.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 246
  • lHYKZ28dSSq1U2FveYV1CA.jpg
    lHYKZ28dSSq1U2FveYV1CA.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 247
Beautiful smoker, CONGRATS!! Looking forward to seeing some cooks. I was super close to pulling the trigger on this but ended up ordering the LSG a few weeks back. Not for any particular reason outside of it being a little more of a traditional offset as opposed to reverse flow and some neat add-ons. I'd have been thrilled with either and came super close to hitting the checkout button on the Shirley, they just seem like tanks, though I'm about 14 weeks away for delivery (waiting SUCKS)

You will enjoy that for years to come.Great cookers.

Congrats! I like the size over the standard 36

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Was that the Paul built one Kevin posted about availability last week?

Ig's a great cooker and I'm confident you will enjoy cooking on it. I have one and I think it imperative to start with a good fire bed. If you do that it's is much easier to maintain temperature. I usually wait till mine reaches 190 to 200 before I add a split or two. Keep your coals concentrated vs. spreading all over the fire basket. You will get the hang of it and enjoy each cook.

Pat, Congratulations on one Beautiful Smoker!
If I was ever to go with a stick burner, it would be a Shirley!!

This Pat is very envious of you, Pat!

There will be some delicious eats coming off that machine, for sure.

Congratulations, Pat!!

Congrats on the new SF!

Back