Competition Classes... What Makes a Class a Value?

We took Johnny's class last year based soley on his reputation...there were two others we were considering as well...Scottie Johnson's and Myron Mixon's. It came down to demographics for us...having family in So-Cal we opted for Johnny's class and Palm Spring's. We were not disappointed...nor were the folks that took Scottie's or Myron's (so we have heard). We were looking for tips and tricks that we could incorporate into our program and to see how a seasoned professional went about his business...we were amazed...not necessarily with his flavor profiles (which are pretty damn good btw) but by how he looks at each comp...his prep, cooking, and attitude never waiver...win or lose...walk or not...he's having the time of his life at 73 ( to quote Jorge)...and now we are too! Thanks Johnny! :p

Here in Iowa Tippycanoe and Big Tz are having a class in late January. Unfortunately as a member of the Iowa BBQ Society's banquet committee and our banquet being held the same day I won't be able to attend.
With this being said, I would like to invite any other teams that have put on classes before to contact me via private message and I would love to talk about hosting a class in the Des Moines are in February or March.
I have numerous contacts in the hospitality industry in the area and would love to bring a class to town.

We took Johnny's class last year based soley on his reputation...there were two others we were considering as well...Scottie Johnson's and Myron Mixon's. It came down to demographics for us...having family in So-Cal we opted for Johnny's class and Palm Spring's. We were not disappointed...nor were the folks that took Scottie's or Myron's (so we have heard). We were looking for tips and tricks that we could incorporate into our program and to see how a seasoned professional went about his business...we were amazed...not necessarily with his flavor profiles (which are pretty damn good btw) but by how he looks at each comp...his prep, cooking, and attitude never waiver...win or lose...walk or not...he's having the time of his life at 73 ( to quote Jorge)...and now we are too! Thanks Johnny! :p

Are Johnnys classes in Palm Springs? I grew up there and still have family I could stay with...

Are Johnnys classes in Palm Springs? I grew up there and still have family I could stay with...

The one we took was...Sterling has hosted two classes so far. I am sure he will be hosting more...perhaps this spring. What say ye Sterling?

I don't think they put on grilling class? :boxing:

Yup, no good teams up here. Well, except for all those teams getting calls at The Jack. :becky:

As for the on thread topic: I think a team that is currently winning is best to take a class from, but a local winning team may be a better value than a nationally recognized team because the course will be less expensive.

I have taken 3 classes, and all the classes were VERY detailed. A lot of what you will get out of it will depend on your ability to take detailed notes. Pay attention to process, it's not all about the recipes.

I do think a class from a winning team is a good idea, especially the first one. I will periodically take new classes to keep up with what other people are thinking and doing, but there are diminishing returns. You will learn the most from the first class, some from the second, and after that you can expect to pick up little pointers. You don't want to throw out your current recipes and start over every time you take a class.

I don't think they put on grilling class? :boxing:

QUAU won the I Love BBQ Fest Midnight Grilling contest, Lake Placid, NY in 2009. cancersuckschicago.com took the GC in 2010 and we were also Reserve in 2007 (tied, but lost tie breaker). We were probably lucky though... :becky: Just to give the NEBS teams an opportunity, the Illinois boys retired from the grilling contest... :tape:

What makes a class a value? That is probably up to each individual cook depending what comp experience they are at. For me, I knew there was a lot of stuff I didn't know, but I didn't know what it was. I took Scottie's CancerSucksChicago class this past February, and after I completed it, I knew alot of the things I didn't have a clue about prior to taking the class. Location and cost of travel can factor into the value calculations.

I think like any class, you get out of it what you put in to it. I've taken classes before and learned something at each one, you need to take what you can use. I feel I have a grip on some of my items but I wish somebody would give a class for each catagory so i could pick the one I want focus on.
As far as instructors giving you ALL their secretes, how would we know, they are secretes...:mrgreen::laugh:

like kevin said, it's hard to know what you do or don't know, until you take a class.

at this point i feel there may be some classes that'll teach you how to cook better, some will teach you contemporary winning trends.

some both.

i would die to take johnny or myron's class for sheer mass of cooking knowledge.

but, i'd probably take CANCERSUCKS, IQUE's, or BUTCHERS, before those for a more contemporary approach.

Back