View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Lump and Briq Mix in UDS, whats your arrangement and mix ratio?

I started using Lump mixed in my briqs in my UDS and have noticed it is harder to maintain temperature. I am assuming the ash is either developing more from the Lump and or its not falling off as efficiently.

I did a 14 hour cook last night and when I run all briquettes I have to have very little intervention. Valves or kicking.

Last night I had too kick the UDS for ash to fall pretty frequently. If I didn't watch to closely I would drop to 190* , which lead to me playing musical intakes last night chasing temps.

By the end of the cook I had all three intakes wide open and could only get approx. 200*.

5 pounds of briqs, and and approx, 3 pounds of RO Lump. My basket is 12" wide by 12 inches tall and sits 2 and 3/4" from my ashtray.

I poured the briqs in first lump on top , then just kinda stirred it all. Then dropped my hickory chunks on top in an arrangement. Started15 briqs or so in a chimney and dumped dead center.

Disregard the coals in the basket, these shots are from a cold basket with old coal in it.

jetfxr27 is offline   Reply With Quote