German Potato Salad?

JimDandysNYDan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for German potato salad that they would care to share with me?

Thanks, Dan

I'd love to get one, too. Two recipes I wish my mom would have written down before she passed away are her potato salad and red cabbage. Could use her cucumber salad and breading as well, but I sure do miss her potato salad. I know she used the juice from dill pickles, which is somewhat different than most.

Here is a recipe my wifes Aunt gave me for HER Grandmothers Hot German Potato Salad:

5 med potato (cooked and cubed)
1/3 lb bacon
1/3 cup vinegar
1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
4 hard boiled eggs
1 med onion sliced

Fry bacon, when crisp drain off grease, add vinegar and sugar to baconin skillet and bring to a boil. Pour over cubed potatoes. Add cut up boiled eggs and onion, mix and serve hot.

Hope this is what you were looking for:-D

Here's one I use. Last time I made it with smoked potatoes. The sauce was stronger than the smoke flavor..

I used 5 cooked tatos
browned about 5 pieces of bacon
cooked some onions and leeks in the bacon drippings
added about 1 TBs of flour to the pan
then added...
1/3 cup of water
1/4 cup of cider vinegar
2 TBs of sugar or more if needed

Makes kind of a sauce...
Add the cubed potatoes and gently toss.
Season with salt and pepper and top with crumbled cooked bacon

It's supposed to be served warm.

Thanks for the recipes everyone....can either one of these recipes be served cold? I need it for a function that I am not sure if I will be able to warm it up.

Room temperature is Ok.. If it is cold it loses it's umph?. lol :-D

The dressing or sauce has bacon drippings in it, so when it is chilled it solidifies a bit. Warm or room temp is better (in my opinion). :)

^^^^^^^She hit the nail on the head. I've had mine cold as leftovers, and with the bacon fat it is kind of greasy cold. Not as good as warm or room temp.

German Potato Salad

Makes Servings: 4-6

Ingredients:
  • 4-6 medium potatoes
  • 6-8 slices of bacon
  • 1/2 cup green onions (can substitute regular white or yellow onion)
  • 1/2 cup green pepper (can substitute red or orange for a little color)
  • 1/3 cup celery
  • 1/2 tsp celery seed
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp dill weed
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 cup vinegar (can use any clear vinegar that you like, white, red wine or cider vinegar)
  • 2 rounded tbsp corn starch
  • 1/2 cup warm water

Directions:
  • Peel the potatoes and slice them into 1/4 inch slices. Cut each slice in half.
  • Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Boil for 5 minutes. Don't over cook the potatoes or they will fall apart when you mix everything together.
  • Once cooked, drain all the water from the potatoes and set aside for later.
  • Chop bacon into pieces and set aside.
  • Finely chop the green pepper, celery, and onions. Set aside.
  • In a large pot that will hold all your ingredients, cook the bacon on medium until crisp.
  • Once crisp, remove the bacon, leaving as much of the fat in the pot as you can. Drain bacon on paper towels and set aside.
  • Add vegetables to the bacon fat.
  • Cook the vegetables on medium until they form a glaze of bacon fat. Don't over cook. You want them to retain a little crispness and not be overly soft.
  • Add the celery seed, oregano, dill weed, sugar, salt and pepper and stir until mixed well.
  • Add vinegar and continue to cook until the mixture is warm. This should only take a minute or two.
  • Dissolve corn starch in warm water.
  • While gently stirring vegetable and vinegar mixture over medium heat, slowly pour the dissolved corn starch into the mixture. Be sure to continue to stir while adding so that the corn starch does not clump. The resulting mixture should have the consistency of gravy.
  • If the mixture is too thick, thin by adding either vinegar or water. Vinegar will add some additional tartness to the salad, while water will mellow the tartness. If using vinegar, add a little extra sugar.
  • Add potatoes and stir to cover potatoes with the vegetable mixture. Continue to heat over medium heat until potatoes are warm. An additional 3-5 minutes should be enough to warm the potatoes.
  • As the potatoes warm, adjust the seasonings to your taste.
  • Crumble the bacon and add to the potatoes.
  • Serve warm.
Additional Notes:
The use of vinegar provides a tartness that blends incredibly well with potatoes while the bacon adds a salty crunch. Depending on your taste, you can use white vinegar, which gives the salad a fuller, tarter taste, or a cider vinegar, that gives the salad a gentler, less tart taste. It's a salad that can withstand the heat of a summer day without having to worry about going sour as with mayonnaise. It's also a nice hearty side dish for a cold winter day.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about the bacon fat...Both the recipes you guys posted sound great and I will try them both. I'm just hoping someone posts a cold one, since that would work much better for the function that it will be for.

I could be wrong - often am but I think by definition, German potato salad is served warm or room temp:confused:

Think Jeanie (Cowgirl) made the point that the bacon grease solidifies and goes yukky(my word, not hers:mrgreen:) if chilled.

That is perfect Sled....Thanks...

All the others were great too and I am sure I am going to try them, but this one will work out better for this particular function.

Haven't tried this yet. Got it from cooks.com-

GERMAN COLD POTATO SALAD
5 c. cubed, cooked potatoes
3/4 c. diced Canadian bacon
1 c. diced onion
1 c. diced celery
1 c. diced green pepper
1 c. diced red pepper (diced pimiento may be substituted)
3 tbsp. flour
1 1/3 c. water
2/3 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. cider vinegar
3 tsp. salt
1/3 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/2 c. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. celery seed
1/2 c. chopped parsley
1/4 c. butter
Cook potatoes in boiling water with skins on. Cool and prepare potatoes by peeling and cutting into cubes. Cook Canadian bacon in a large skillet, add butter and melt, add celery, onion, green and red pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Blend flour and water in a cup and add this to the vegetables and continue to cook. Add bacon, sugar, cider vinegar, salt, freshly ground pepper, Dijon mustard, celery seed and parsley. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until mixture is thick and bubbly, add this to prepared potatoes and toss lightly. This may be refrigerated and served cold. Yield: 8.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about the bacon fat...Both the recipes you guys posted sound great and I will try them both. I'm just hoping someone posts a cold one, since that would work much better for the function that it will be for.

It will taste just the same cold except for one little problem, "the bacon" - imagine crisp bacon wet? Oh, it's still good mind you and you sure as hey wouldn't turn down no leftovers out of the fridge, but not as good as warm just after making. A friend of my Dad's was in the German army in WWII and many years ago invited me to a cook out at his house and two things I will NEVER EVER FORGET were the Potato Salad and the Cucumber Salad.

Yer gonna want to find a way to serve it warm... it'll be worth it.

Main Entry: German potato saladPart of Speech: nDefinition: a hot or warm potato salad including bacon, onion, celery, and green pepper mixed with seasonings, sugar, and bacon fatUsage: cooking

I have recieved many request for this german potatoe salad from family and friends.

German Potato Salad

2 ½ Lbs. Red potatoes, cooked (20 to 25 min), peeled and sliced ½ inch thick
2 Ea Celery stalks, finely chopped
½ Ea Medium onion, finely grated and sautéed
1 Tsp Finely chopped pimiento
1 Tsp Celery seed
1 Tsp Coarsely ground pepper
½ Lb. Smoked bacon, finely chopped
1 Tbs All purpose flour
1 Cup Cold Water
¼ Cup Cider Vinegar
3 Tbs Sugar
1 Tsp Salt

Boil potatoes 20 to 25 minutes in lightly salted water. Drain, let cool slightly and peel. Slice ½ inch. thick. Combine sliced potatoes, celery, onion, pimiento, celery seed and pepper in bowl.
Cook bacon in heavy skillet until crisp. Drain, reserving ¼ cup of the drippings. Add the chopped bacon to the bowl with the sliced potatoes.
Heat the reserved drippings in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Stir in water. Continue stirring until the mixture is hot and glossy. Add vinegar, sugar and salt. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes. Pour over salad and toss well.

Serves 4

Back