preparing ribs for a luncheon at work

ButtBurner

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
A guy is leaving and we are having a potluck for him. I have already done pulled pork for a few of these meals and I have that down.

I am going to cook some ribs along with pulled pork this weekend for the event.

My plan was to cook them normally, then let them cool and either cut them into individual ribs or sections that will fit into 8"x11" vac bags.

Not sure which is best. i would rather just have them individually for ease of serving

I have a 50 year old Nesco roaster that I am going to fill with hot water and use that to heat all the vac bags in during the morning before the lunch, then pull them out and serve as needed.

I do this with the pulled pork all the time but never did it with ribs.

Since it will be midweek I dont think I will need to freeze them being vac packed.

Any comments or suggestions on my plan?

thanks

I haven't used a roaster like that but I have reheated ribs in vacuum bags using hot water and they turn out fine. In a normal pot you have to be careful that the bag doesn't touch the bottom of the pot, but I don't know if you would have that problem in the roaster or not.

I don't think it would make a different if they were cut or not.

I haven't used a roaster like that but I have reheated ribs in vacuum bags using hot water and they turn out fine. In a normal pot you have to be careful that the bag doesn't touch the bottom of the pot, but I don't know if you would have that problem in the roaster or not.

I don't think it would make a different if they were cut or not.

thanks Ron

the roaster works real well. I have used it on pulled pork in vac bags. Its actually real convienent when there isnt a stove or hotplate available

I am guessing there is not an oven available to finish the ribs off at work (say if you smoked them to the point of wrapping and then finished them off in the oven at work)...?

I think the roaster would work fine as you can control the temperature and prevent boiling.

I agree with Ron, you don't have to cut them into individual ribs, as you can fit more into a large vac bag cutting them only to fit the bag.

I would think you can fit more in by cutting them first.

More importantly though, if they're already cut then you don't need to make a mess cutting them at work. Just heat and dump them in a full or half pan for serving. If you plan on saucing them at work though I would leave them whole or at least half racks.

I would think you can fit more in by cutting them first.

More importantly though, if they're already cut then you don't need to make a mess cutting them at work. Just heat and dump them in a full or half pan for serving. If you plan on saucing them at work though I would leave them whole or at least half racks.

space is not an issue

I am just thinking of convienence.

I have hundreds of vac bags lol

Back