Home Made Sauerkraut

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
(Mods: I know that the connection to grilling is tangential, so please move if there is a more appropriate sub-forum)

Hi,

I'm trying my hand at making sauerkraut to go with grilled wursts and sausage for the superbowl.

Does anyone know if the fermentation causes an expansion due to the gas release and therefore I shouldn't use a sealed mason jar?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm using shaved jalapenos, apple slices, salt and cabbage.

Thanks,

Eric

Yes, it does, it will blast liquid out the top.

The best way is with a crock and a plate that just fits inside it, and place a weight on top of the plate to keep it submerged under the liquid. Scoop out anything that floats up or tries to start growing on top.

I leave the jars lids loose when fermenting, also place the jars into a tub to catch the juices.
When the process is finished, I wipe the rims and place fresh lids on.

Yes, it does, it will blast liquid out the top.

The best way is with a crock and a plate that just fits inside it, and place a weight on top of the plate to keep it submerged under the liquid. Scoop out anything that floats up or tries to start growing on top.

That is how my grandmother taught me. A big ole crock and a nearly close fitting ceramic plate on the top and a good sized rock to weight everything down. Cabbage off gases like car batteries. Block the gasses and the vessel will explode.

You don't have time between now and the Super Bowl to make fermented sauerkraut unless it is already underway, do you?

If you are going to get a crock, the best to get is the Harsch Gairtopf which has a water lock seal built into the lid seat as well as weight plates to keep the cabbage submerged. I have the 7.5 liter size fermenting a batch right now.

(As Jeanie says, it takes about 5-6 weeks to be truly ready.)

Last edited:
What Bull said. Thin slice the cabbage, alternatate layers of cabbge w/ salt. Press down each layer, cover with the plate and cheese cloth (to keep the bugs out). Like Cowgirl said, it takes about 6 weeks. Then can in mason jars. Awesome stuff!!

Jalapeno kraut too!!! That is awesome stuff. Old Crocks are how my in-laws make theirs too.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I have a HUGE mason jar that I thought would be perfect. I guess I'll cover it with a washcloth and rubberband the cloth over the top of the jar. Would that work to block the top effectively while still allowing the gas to escape?

In reading up on making sauerkraut, it seemed as though 1 week was the minimum to impart flavor and then it grows in strength from there. Is that inaccurate? Is 1 week a waste of time?

Thanks again,

Eric

Back