asbury Park - Guitrarbeque.

no, no Food Network, but the Asbury Park Press. 2nd largerst paper in NJ. Reporter interviewed me for a while, with Phil joining in. I refered to Phil as our leader, head cook, chef and a few other terms. He called himself Poohbah. About 10 minutes later she came back to the site and asked Phil who he was!

Here's a link to the Asbury Press Article.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050731/NEWS01/507310424/1004

From the article...

"Brothers in Smoke from New York (Long Island and Brooklyn), the flagship team of an Internet-connected group of eight teams called BBQ-Brethren who compete around the country, placed third overall.

Team leader Phil Rizzardi of Nesconset, N.Y., started the national group. "I was not very happy," Rizzardi said as they waited for the winners to be announced. "Our brisket was very defective."

They won second place ($500) in chicken and, in what may have come as a surprise, second place ($500) in brisket."

Well, lets say the brisket placing was more than a surprise. Phil and I were about 50 feet apart or so when that was announced. My repsonse was a very loud and clearly audible "Oh sh*t!." Phil's response, was a very loud and clearly audible, "Holy sh*t!" Audience members were thrilled with our reaction. :mrgreen:

Gott'a love them Brother's. :roll: I hope Food Network was recording that.

BrooklynQ said:
"Brothers in Smoke from New York (Long Island and Brooklyn), the flagship team of an Internet-connected group of eight teams called BBQ-Brethren who compete around the country, placed third overall.

There's only 8 teams in the Brethren?

BrooklynQ said:
My repsonse was a very loud and clearly audible "Oh sh*t!." Phil's response, was a very loud and clearly audible, "Holy sh*t!" Audience members were thrilled with our reaction. :mrgreen:

That must have been hilarious! Hey... its a perfectly natural reaction! :)

BrooklynQ said:
Well, lets say the brisket placing was more than a surprise. Phil and I were about 50 feet apart or so when that was announced. My repsonse was a very loud and clearly audible "Oh sh*t!." Phil's response, was a very loud and clearly audible, "Holy sh*t!" Audience members were thrilled with our reaction. :mrgreen:

Den Scheissen Bruden.

Like to make mention of a couple of things. Sharon was the perfect hostess of Phil`s camp. Her good natured personality was nothing less than pleasant to be around when the hecktectness was on. Also, I hope Phil or Rob post the actual results of the comp. Along with the great scores in the taste and texture categories, the presentation ones got the highest. Hats off to Rob for putting everything together just right.

Very well done. Phil and the P.I.G hog (chef Justin Wilson quote) are closing in!

Sharon was the perfect hostess of Phil`s camp. Her good natured personality was nothing less than pleasant to be around when the hecktectness was on.

Very nice of you to take the time to give credit to Sharon.
I've not met her, but there's no doubt she's a special person, she does live with our Poopbah.......

I'm Back.. and sore. 2 comps back to back is a bit much. Official standings

2nd brisket
2nd chicken
11th ribs
13th pork

3rd overall

I tried to organize better this time. Consolidated alot. Got real storage boxes, modifying the trailer a little more.. I just gotta figure out what i REALLY need, and get out of the "just in case" mindset. We were much much much more organized this time, and our timing was pretty good. We had our brines, injections and marinades going at the right time, stuff went in on schedule and somestuff came out early. Although we didnt make GC, we were close enuf to taste it, but this time I left with even more valuable lessons on prep and timing. Rob is nailing his presentation boxes to maintain 7-9 on all and were starting to work better together without fumbling. Brisket and chicken we got down, and this week, I am going to apply some of my chicken techniques to the ribs and see if that works. We have maintained a no worse than 4th overall with 2 catagories giving us a first and second. In every one, one more top 3 placement in any remaining catagory would have gotten us a GC. This week, I'm concentrating on bringing ribs into a top 3. Pork still may be a crap shoot but its defiantely better than it used to be.

Xczar(Serge) and Smoker(Steve) came down Friday night and Saturday morning and their contribution was key to our success. Serge saved a boatload of time by bringing down the garnish on his way back Saturday and Steve ran interference betwen me and Rob all morning.... I cant thank you guys enuf for coming down and diving in. Your help got us to walk that walk again. :) hoe I can get us a GC this season!

PS.
One thing about our little place here on the net. When I meet new members in person for the first time, it feels like I've know them for years. I sure hope that as our teams expand out there, members just show up under the team tents. You never know, while helping out a team, you may just get bit by the bug. :twisted: It was so cool last week at grillkings to have guys walk in saying "Im a Brethren" :) I think the secret handshake should be handing over a piece of meat.

Phil is the man!!!!

Great job. Phil was cooking and the ghost was entertaining Sharon at the Bates Hotel! haha Who tripped you? LOL

Arlie

You make us proud Poo. Congratulations again to the Brothers in Smoke Team.

Back