Help! Speeding up butt thaw?

smokemonster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I have an 8 lb bone in butt that I moved from the freezer to my refrigerator Wednesday morning. It has thawed to some degree, but is still pretty solid and I'm planning on throwing it on the WSM around 5am tomorrow. This is the first time I've had to thaw one, and i'm starting to get really worried it's not going to be thawed in time. Is there anyway to speed up the process without spoiling the meat? Not sure if I could rotate it from the counter to fridge throughout the day or not? I'd really appreciate any help you guys could throw my way.

The fastest way I've found to thaw a frozen butt is to throw it on the smoker and cook it:shocked:

I'm not kidding! I recieved the advice a while ago, did some research on it and went with it. Even found a pictoral of a guy who had to drill a hole in a frozen SOLID butt to insert his thermo probe!

Comes out just fine:wink:

Oh yeah, it does take a bit longer to cook that way!

I always like standing with my back to a space heater or campfire ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I have done the the water thawing and that works great for me. Just start cooking it as soon as it is done thawing. Not a good idea to put it back in the fridge. I have also heard about smoking something that is only partially thawed. I remember seeing a show on the food network where a guy at a bbq joint actually smoked his briskets or something when they were partially frozen because it actually helped him better with the timing of smoking overnight and they came out looking like anything else smoked.

Another option if you don't want your sink out of action for several hours is to use a water-tight cooler and put the water over the butt. This has the added benefit of allowing you to use warm water, as the water will cool as the meat thaws and still keep it at a safe temperature. I find this works a bit faster than the sink method as long as you have a tight-fitting lid for the cooler.

The fastest way I've found to thaw a frozen butt is to throw it on the smoker and cook it:shocked:

I'm not kidding! I recieved the advice a while ago, did some research on it and went with it. Even found a pictoral of a guy who had to drill a hole in a frozen SOLID butt to insert his thermo probe!

Comes out just fine:wink:

Thanks Mike

Another option is you can put it in a brine of cold water (completely covered of course). This is a safe way to expedite it quickly and add some flavor from your brine. I just "thawed" 2 butts in 12 hours last week. As others have said just make sure you cook it once thawed vs. putting it back in the fridge.

Back