What do you get up front

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
When booking a catering job, how much do you ask for upfront as a nonrefundable booking fee?

The last two parties I had planned on cooking for "friends", a class reunion and a rehersal dinner were both cancelled the week of the party. The meat is in the freezer and will get used. None of the perishables had been purchased yet so I'm really not losing anything but the monies I was counting on. Glad I don't believe in spending before I have it hand.

When booking a catering job, how much do you ask for upfront as a nonrefundable booking fee?

The last two parties I had planned on cooking for "friends", a class reunion and a rehersal dinner were both cancelled the week of the party. The meat is in the freezer and will get used. None of the perishables had been purchased yet so I'm really not losing anything but the monies I was counting on. Glad I don't believe in spending before I have it hand.

Some "friends" huh? :roll:

Per my contract 25% deposit to hold the date, and balance due 7 days prior to event. Even for friends.

50% unless there are "special" circumstances. I've lowered it to 33% for really big jobs (in excess of $5,000).

Thanks for the feedback. If I ever get serious about this I'm deffinately going to have a deposit policy. Up until now, I've never had a problem.

$300 booking fee (client agrees to pay for caterer removing dates from caterer's calendar); balance due 10 days in advance.

Deposit Money

We get $250.00 non-refundable and balance due 14 days prior to the event.

We get $250.00 non-refundable and balance due 14 days prior to the event.
bubba &i are prolly about the same.
the deal is - i never buy anything more than 5 days in advance to begin with. perishables 2 days in advance & in the event of rainout - they go to homeless shelters & i get a tax deduct receipt.
i can't quote the same up front fee for a party of 200 that i would for 2500.
never ever give a set price for a set amount of meals or persons up front unless you have an add in clause or absolute # of servings..

i base mine upon the number of meals & type of service provided (hence the 10 day clause & rebooking hassle) well i stated the perishables & stock before...
w/in 10 days notice it's just a matter of lost business or scheduling conflict for any given wkend or day.

when it comes to business- there are no "friends". i am fair - it's money & it's business(sopranos accent). it's just business....

remember this... ya got a friend that is a plumber- will he replace your bathroom for free? there ya go....
it's a business, it's the economy,the kidz gotta eat,& momma gotta have new shoes....

Back