double barrel smoker

J

jlstetler1989

bigbaby.gif

I found this picture and want to follow these plans but one question i need help on the flues on the top barrel are below the great do you huys think this setup would still let the smoke hit the meat or just go from the bottom barrel right out under the meat?

Cliff are you sayin cut the barrel in half and put the exhaust where the pic shows it?

what are you saying you think you should raise the flues so the smokes has to fill the barrel before exiting?

well chavo thats what i was wondering if i should do or would this plan work

do you huys think this setup would still let the smoke hit the meat or just go from the bottom barrel right out under the meat?
Heat rises. So I'm guessing that putting the exhaust down lower would actually help retain more heat up top. Probably help it cook more evenly also...

This type of smoker has been around for a long time. I'm sure it works just fine how it is.. Now you can always improve on everybody's ideas.. From the looks of it though the exhausts are allot smaller than the flues. I would think this means that there will be allot of smoke trapped in the drum until it is able to escape.
with that in mind I think it will be fine how it is..

With the idea that heat rises, the smoke should go to the top then will have to fall back down to exit the drum.

From the pic the exhaust appears to be below the grate. I would move it to grate level.

Thawley got it.

Just for perspective, my former Pitts N Spitt's had the start of the exhaust below the grate level.. I never noticed any issues with less than desireable smoke..

I think we'd be surprised to see how much smoke fills all parts of the chamber when the lid or door is closed.

Last edited:
bacardi, there's a double drum cradle that would work better, or you could just weld or bolt on angle iron on each end. It is possible to do the whole thing without buying a drum kit, if you are inventive enough with HVAC duct parts from Lowes. The Vogelzang stuff is the easiest way to build it, though.

My DBS has the chimney above the grate, and it works just fine. There are zero problems with getting or holding heat in a design in which the smoker barrel is directly above the fire chamber, and you will have dampers in the chimneys anyway. Controlling the temps is the goal, not raising them. My DBS goes from 150-500 degrees.

Here it is getting heated up for a smoke in spring...

FAIRLANEBUFFEDassembly032.jpg

yeah i actually ordered the double barrel adapter, well payment is being processed. so we will see if they actually ship it to me because of " CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS LAWS " so i would just have to order i think a damper and collar. ill think of something creative and keep you posted thanks alot.

ok disregard my previous message. the place i ordered it from all of a sudden said they were out of stock on the double barrel adapter. :-

What do you guys use for cooking grates for these DBS????

Mine came from Wally World as grill replacements; they still have them in stock this year, too. $10 each, but I bought them end of season for $5 each. It took 3; I cut one in half. They rest on 1" angle iron bolts to the drum front and back. Easy to remove and clean -- and I demand that meat rest on a clean rack every time.

FAIRLANEBUFFEDassembly030.jpg

I have some stainless steel grates that were donated to me by my dad for the grill. They rest on some angle iron I bolted on to the inside of the cooking area. Also, I have only on vent on top, in the middle of the drum. Kinda like Mr. Beers DBS. I think that would work better, of course, I have never built one with the two vents on the sides....

Back