Pre-Trimmed St. Louis Style ribs

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've got a guy who has a relationship with a Canadian pork producer, and he's offering me some St. Louis style ribs. Says he can get them in several sizes, with the most popular ones being 2.5# and down and 2.75# and down.

I don't know what size is preferred - anyone buy trimmed spares like this that can comment?

What's a fair price? $2 / pound for a case?

You didn't like my overcooked loin backs that I cooked at the judging class? :roll:

$2 is a little higher than what I would pay. But right there in the ballpark.

ahhh, the joys of working in a butcher shop......1.18 a pound, I trim in the butcher shop, re-suck in cryo-vac, and freeze until needed.....but, overall, not a bad price at all.....
Mine, when I get the case on thursday, the kill date is tuesday....love that....

I'm actually snacking on some beef jerky that has a tenderness very similar to the brisket we sampled. The ribs weren't nearly as bad.

Class was fun - quite a few cancelled due to the snow, but I think there were 30-35 people there.

but, I like to use the full spares and then trim down to about 2.5 or so....ends cut off since they are not used anyway, ends up being about 8-10 bones a rack

but, I like to use the full spares and then trim down to about 2.5 or so....ends cut off since they are not used anyway, ends up being about 8-10 bones a rack

Thanks for the info. I told him I needed to try a few slabs before I commit to a case. He claims the flavor is a lot richer and that a good percentage of the pork gets sent to Japan, which I'm not sure is good or bad for comps. I don't have the freezer space for a dozen slabs unless I really like them.

When I started shaping my ribs like a "P" for Popdaddy I stop buying pre-cuts.

P Style Ribs

Ignore the part where my wife is against the bookcase... we have no catering biz so we need no help.

Old P Cut Video

$2 a pound for trimmed St. Louis style spare ribs is a very fair price. You can't go wrong with either weight. Think of it this way - A 2.5 lb. slab of spares costs $5. That same rib in a loin back would be more like $7.50 or more. I realize I'm comparing apples to oranges, but what I'm trying to say is that there is no waste and you're saving $2.50 per slab.

I'd give it a shot and go bigger. You can always trim them some more if needed.

I think you can get more in the 1.70 range depending how many cases you are going to buy. Not a bad price for a single if they are good quality.

I just ordered a case of 2.5's today from Sysco...I've never used them before but according to the guy that's ordering them for me there's about 15-18 slabs in the case. I figured for the money that I was paying to buy the 3 packs of IBP spares at Sam's and then having to trim them plus gamble on getting a couple of good packs without a lot of shiners this will make me come out money ahead?

never bought them from Sysco but that's about right (for my area anyway), we can get 'em usually a little lower than that/ lb
if you can get him to spot you a coupla slabs then do it. always better to have an idea of what yer getting
I'd count on getting some shiners in that case, regardless of which size you pick. 15-18 slabs is about right too.
we buy pre-trimmed cases for catering and Buck-A-Bones, it's just way easier.

good luck with your canadian guy...

shiners.jpg

Pic stolen from amazingribs.com

Back