Comp Brisket Sauce

A party??!! :icon_clown You're so generous Chris. I'll bring the Legend Brown. :wink:

angelo's pit sauce in the store.

Not the bottled stuff

Interesting discussion. Saucing brisket is one area that I pay zero attention to. I've always figured cooking it right doesn't warrant much more. That's not to say I won't be playing with some things to step up my game over the winter!

Interesting discussion. Saucing brisket is one area that I pay zero attention to. I've always figured cooking it right doesn't warrant much more. That's not to say I won't be playing with some things to step up my game over the winter!
Apparently you are paying attention to this "Comp Brisket Sauce" thread. :shock: :wink: Just bustin' your chops, of course.

John

In my opinion, the best briskets I ever cooked were a little sweet, with a gentle heat and a complex savory background. Can something be sweet and savory at the same time? Anyway, this all comes from the rub. I don't sauce brisket. And I really, really like our sauce, especially on burnt endz.

I also rarely use foil. Briskets come out and are sliced after a very short rest. To my mind there's something magical about that crispy fat/rub crust that gets lost in the foil or under sauce. But that's just my opinion and my credentials are a little thin.

We've used a home made sauce and used a couple different comercial sauces in different combinations. What has been consistant is we always thin it down with the de-fatted juices from the foil and we add Boneyard Brew Hot Sauce for heat and apply it thinly. (Sometimes it gets some of that stuff from the magic blue bottle too :wink:)

Let us know when the first annual Nature Boy Brisketfest is!

Tom

I think you can use just about any sauce as long as the brisket is cooked just right. I've used all different kinds of sauce, all falling in the top ten at comps.
Sauces I've used: Head Country, Blues Hog, Rasp. Chilpote, Watermelon sauce, and just the brisket juice with some beef broth.
I really like the Rasp. Chilpotle sauce but sometimes judges don't care for the fruity flavors.

Cajun Power Sauces

Yo Scottie. I really liked that sweet tabasco too. In fact it's gone and I can't find it at the grocery. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the garlic.
Beers!
CHris

How about an alternative to Tabasco? Have you tried any of the Cajun Power Sauces? The Original Garlic Sauce and the Spicy Garlic Pepper Sauce I can get off the grocery shelf, and they are pretty damn good, and the Marinating Basting sauce looks interesting?

http://www.cajunpowersauce.com/products.cfm?c=08D960F1-F42E-BF06-519F031468853216

Apparently you are paying attention to this "Comp Brisket Sauce" thread. :shock: :wink: Just bustin' your chops, of course.

John

Hee hee! Some of my best comp ideas have come from paying attention to many threads here. These folks are a wealth of knowledge.

We have found that the right piece of meat, on the right cooker, using the best rub we can make...gets us in the top 10 often enough with no sauce needed.

I agree with most saying brisket does not need sauce. We have done better without sauce. We have done decent with sauce also. I don't know why I change our technique so much. I am just an experimental mudder bucker. I like the look of brisket when you dip in a thin sauce and pull it out, it looks much better in the box. Looks moist, and is moist. A lot of times we had no sauce the brisket was moist but looked dry. So what I am saying is that they eat with their eyes first. So if it looks moist, in their head before it gets to their mouths. It is moist. Catch my drift!

I agree with most saying brisket does not need sauce. We have done better without sauce. We have done decent with sauce also. I don't know why I change our technique so much. I am just an experimental mudder bucker. I like the look of brisket when you dip in a thin sauce and pull it out, it looks much better in the box. Looks moist, and is moist. A lot of times we had no sauce the brisket was moist but looked dry. So what I am saying is that they eat with their eyes first. So if it looks moist, in their head before it gets to their mouths. It is moist. Catch my drift!

I agree for the most part, but a little extra flavor cant hurt (can it?)

OC's response sounds pretty good. Adding a little flavor with a nice thin sauce is no different than adding a little flavor with your rub. As long as I know it is brisket, I will try to score it accordingly. Rub is basically just a dry sauce applied during the long cooking process. It is there to add flavor. Hopefully, just the perfect flavor we are all looking for. Just my thought on it.

Back