Royal Turn in Boxes

That a nice glaze you've got on those ribs. I think we may need to try our hand at trimming down the ribs as well. We just can't seem to get them to fit nicely in the box.

We don't have the scores yet but we finished 29th overall (?? beans, 9 sausage, 110 chicken, 71 ribs, 55 brisket, and 44 pork).

~beans.jpg

~sausage.jpg

~chicken.jpg

~ribs.jpg

~pork.jpg

~brisket.jpg

Paul, Those turn-in are beautiful. Sorry my pics were so poor, but yours would have made them look poor even in good light.

I never got to see anyone elses boxes, I didnt want to interupt anyone and ask, because the teams had to prepare for the next category.

Based on seeing yours, I can see that my offerings were a little too meager. How were you able to close the chicken box without hitting the thighs?

I also now see what sauced brisket looks like.

Again, very nice pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We don't have the scores yet but we finished 29th overall (?? beans, 9 sausage, 110 chicken, 71 ribs, 55 brisket, and 44 pork).

I've got the score sheet in front of me right now and your beans got 43rd. Nice work!!! I was at a loss for how to display the beans in the box, so I just used dixie cups and a parsley bed. We came in at 89, which isn't bad, but it definitely leaves something to be desired. :)

We took 5th overall in the sides... here are the taters:

taters.jpeg

And the beans:

beans.jpeg

8th place chicken

chicken.jpeg

And smores for dessert:

smores.jpeg

Based on seeing yours, I can see that my offerings were a little too meager. How were you able to close the chicken box without hitting the thighs?

I also now see what sauced brisket looks like.

The chicken fit in the box w/o a problem. We trim thighs aggressively so they really aren't very big. But I sure hope we corrected the uneven row in the front before turn-in.

Be careful about using our boxes as a standard to go by...we didn't win squat other than a call in sausage.

13th place pork and Open chicken

Attachments

• american royal bbq 2008 039 [640x480].JPG
    american royal bbq 2008 039 [640x480].JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 459
  • american royal bbq 2008 045 [640x480].JPG
    american royal bbq 2008 045 [640x480].JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 455
I typically refrain from posting boxes much anymore but WTF? Not like mine are winning and these definitely arent our best work! Here are the ones from the Invitational. The Open boxes are on my wife's camera. So... I'm even posting the DAL pork. :roll:

Attachments

• chicken-invite.jpg
    chicken-invite.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 421
  • ribs-invite.jpg
    ribs-invite.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 418
  • pork-invite.jpg
    pork-invite.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 421
  • brisket-invite.jpg
    brisket-invite.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 420
Jeff, Maybe you should have over cooked it!! it worked for ME!!hahaha Just kidding.
Hope you guys had fun at the royal I know I did.

Jeff, Maybe you should have over cooked it!! it worked for ME!!hahaha Just kidding.
Hope you guys had fun at the royal I know I did.

:lol: Good idea for the Royal, no doubt! That was kinda the plan going into the Open and we didn't really do it. It's not easy to do things outside of how you always do it once you get your system down. And yep, we had a great time! Just wish there had been more time for relaxing and visiting and less work!

I am going to have to practice the parsley thing ...

I SWEAR, I will NEVER do a parsley box... NEVER!!!

And, I agree with Sled (yeah, crazy)... I think chicken should look like chicken...

Those are some bee-yoo-ti-full boxes everyone!

Back