Deep Frying a Turkey

And never, ever, ever, use the uncooked popcorn stuffing method when deep frying a bird.

On edit: Wait maybe it would work!

My favorite marinade is to use one jar of creole butter as the base. Add one bottle of liquid onion, one bottle of liquid garlic and one bottle of Louisiana hot sauce. Inject the day before. Rub the outside of the bird with Tony Chacheres.

Plowboy is right on.

Do not skimp on the pot. Make sure that you buy a pot that has enough capacity. A lot of the "kits" come with a pot that is not big enough to fry a turkey in. A good test of how much oil to put in the pot is to put the bird in the pot and cover with water to see how much oil is needed to cook. Mark the water line and fill oil to that spot. Overflowing oil will ruin your day.

Also, do not try to fry a large bird. Try the medium to small turkeys instead. They cook much better.

chingador said:
Add one bottle of liquid onion, one bottle of liquid garlic

Where do you find the liquid onion and liquid garlic? We can't find it anywhere.

I prefer to do birds that are 10-12lbs and inject but don't rub. Usually do a spicy, herb, and garlic butter injections so there is a little something for everyone in my family, It's kinda like a pig pickin' with turkey! I noticed another site discussing "smofried" turkey and always thought it would be an interesting combination. Has anyone here tried it? Oh yeah, one year we were doing a few birds and my brother insisted we inject one with Yoshida's Gourmet sauce, well it never graced the dinner table as it looked like a black tar ball! but it actually tasted pretty good.

Like Kevin says, it is in the spice section of the grocery store next to the McCormick. The bottles are kind of small. A little bit goes a long way and the flavor is excellent.

I've injected and done without - it was real tasty either way. You may want to try a small breast before the big day.

One other thing that I do that I've never seen mentioned - Just before I put the bird in, I turn off the flame and the gas tank. That way, if I have a boilover, there is less of a chance of fire. As soon as the bubbling calms down, I relight.
This did save me the one time I had a boilover - it was raining, and I set up in the doorway of my garage (yes, I know it was a stupid thing to do....). My turkey went fine. I put some potatoes in. I had them soaking in icewater and told my wife to dry them. Apparently, they weren't quite dry enough and boiled over. But my gas was off (and I did have plenty of fire extinguishing material around), so all I wound up with was a nasty oil slick on my driveway, which never quite came off.

So...turn off your gas and make sure what you're frying is dry!!

Mike

Back