So Which Q-Joint Has the Best Texas Brisket... Hint - It Ain't in Texas...

RichardF

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Posted on Sat, Oct. 28, 2006 Charlotte Observer

THE `GRILL MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE' HAS SPOKEN

Queen City boasts the king of brisket
Ouch, that proclamation's gotta hurt deep in the heart of Texas
HELEN SCHWAB
Restaurant Writer

Pity Texans this morning.

They went to bed last night thinking their biggest Charlotte controversy was the new starting quarterback for the Cowboys against the Panthers on Sunday (PS - Panthers were creamed).

Hang on to your Stetsons, boys. It's about to get worse.

The Observer has learned that Rick Browne declares the Texas beef brisket at Mac's Speed Shop on South Boulevard the "best I've ever had."

Which may not strike you as significant unless you know that Browne hosts PBS's nationally televised "Barbecue America," has written bushels of barbecue cookbooks and reviews, and is alternately dubbed "Grill Master of the Universe," "America's king of outdoor cooking" and "Dr. Que."

"The meat was tender, juicy, and loaded with flavor," he e-mailed this week. "All this from a piece of meat that's tough as a snow tire, and often as tasteless."

Browne was in town for about a week in late September, attending Charlotte Shout's Blues, Brews & BBQ competition, then appearing at its culinary festival. In between, he found Mac's.

He ate there five days in a row.

"My staff called and said, `This guy wants to see you,' " says Mac's co-owner, J.D. Duncan. "I wasn't familiar with his show. ... He went crazy for two hours. I couldn't get up and leave."

The challenge of brisket, says Browne, is that the cut -- from the cow's lower chest -- is one of the hardest meats to hold over and serve the next day. "I've been in tons of restaurants where you know it's the second day. This technique ... It's brilliant."

Duncan explains: Mac's cooks the meat completely in a Southern Pride smoker, then throws it in a cooler to bring it down to 42 degrees. It's then sliced to order, half an inch thick, trimmed, and slapped on the grill. "When the oils and fats start to melt, it's like eating a piece of tenderloin."

Browne shot some impromptu footage at Mac's for his show, and it's slated to air in the spring, on 231 stations nationwide. (Duncan also says NBC came out to shoot footage Friday, for a segment on Texas vs. N.C. barbecue during the third quarter of Sunday's game.)

The brisket proclamation should be enough to get Browne in trouble here, too -- plenty of Charlotteans would argue for somewhere other than Mac's as the top 'cue in town. But Browne doesn't stop there.

"Mac's hush puppies are to die for. My favorite used to be in Shelby: Bridges. Sorry. They got beat out."

By the way, Browne loved Mac's pork, too. He may or may not know that the guy doing that pork now -- 1,200 pounds of it a week, says Duncan -- is Charles Semail. A French chef.

So, if the article is to be believed, you need to go to the heart of pig-country, to a City that isn't known for Q to get the best Texas brisket. I've eaten there a bunch of times, and while the brisket is good, it's not great; shows what I know...

Last edited:
Dont know the place, never heard of it but maybe they gave Rick some table cloths for a new wordrobe for the review.

willkat98 said:
I don't think I ever heard of Rick Browne
I don't know who he is either (other than his bio in the article), but I like to mess with Texas any chance I get ;-p

I know Rick well, he is from Vancouver,WA and does a lot of stuff around the area. He filmed our Salmon cook a few years ago and put it on his PBS show.

RichardF said:
I don't know who he is either (other than his bio in the article), but I like to mess with Texas any chance I get ;-p

Pure jealousy.

Dude has a nice web site, PBS cred, etc. spokesman for several commercial products etc.
Anyone and Everyone is entitled to their opinion in this great Country of ours; guess I would have to try out Mac's brisket someday and see for myself.
Still,
Dallas 35 - Carolina 14.

I got news for little Ricky...

...there ain't NO better Brisket than TEXAS-COOKED Brisket.

Anyone on that gol-durned PBS channel (where by the way, they teach you how to be kind to edible animals and how to grow your own corn indoors in your bathtub and other such tree-huggin' propoganda) don't know diddly-squat about a good slab of brisket.

They prolly gave him a set of crystal stemmed beer goblets and a nice set of stoneware coasters with a pic of an endangered seal on 'em.

Best not let that Dockers wearin'-wine-sippin'-pinkie stuck out yayhoo anywhere near the Lone Star state lessen' he be tied to a post down by the stockyards on some Friday night 'bout the time drunken GOOD BRISKET EATIN' cowboys come stumblin' outa Billy Bob's lookin' fer a little mischief ta get into.

Ken

Pbs

Hey, Homer Simpson, I have also watched the idots from PBS boil baby backs. That should tell you something.....Cowboys 35, Panthers 14. Dont mess with Texas!!!

Feel'n a little defensive Kenny???

TexasGuppie said:
...there ain't NO better Brisket than TEXAS-COOKED Brisket.

Anyone on that gol-durned PBS channel (where by the way, they teach you how to be kind to edible animals and how to grow your own corn indoors in your bathtub and other such tree-huggin' propoganda) don't know diddly-squat about a good slab of brisket.

They prolly gave him a set of crystal stemmed beer goblets and a nice set of stoneware coasters with a pic of an endangered seal on 'em.

Best not let that Dockers wearin'-wine-sippin'-pinkie stuck out yayhoo anywhere near the Lone Star state lessen' he be tied to a post down by the stockyards on some Friday night 'bout the time drunken GOOD BRISKET EATIN' cowboys come stumblin' outa Billy Bob's lookin' fer a little mischief ta get into.

Ken
I didn't agree with what he said, (everybody knows the best brisket is from K.C. :), just repeating what he said...

And the Panthers are way overrated, and they deserved what they got. Just the way Dallas deserves T.O.

Feel'n a little defensive Kenny???

Folks from Texas don't get "defensive" (that's city-folk terminology) Nope...folks from Texas just get a rope.

:biggrin: Everyone is entitled to their opinions about stuff. It's just that those opinions anger those of us that know the TRUTH.

Ken (my daddy called me "Kenny" when I was in trouble.)

This is one of those "discussions" that will never go away :redface:
Gotta love them.

Maybe, one way to look at it is "who is winning" with Brisket on the Competition Circuit?

I took a peek at the AR Brisket results:
http://www.americanroyal.com/portals/0/06_BBQInvBrisket.pdf

Make your own evaluation as to where the top 10 or 20 hailed from.
Without pinning them all down, seemed to be from a lot of states.

I took a look at the Best of the Best-2005--Douglas, GA

Brisket
Bar-B-Quau, Brimfield, IL
Swamp Water Boys, Mulberry, FL
Tom & Josh's Orgasmic Slabs, Kansas City, MO
Kick the Tire & Light the Fire, Palm Bay, FL
Smokin' Triggers, Alvarado, TX
Smokers Wild, Paola, KS
Oink, Cackle & Moo, Tullahoma, TN
Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q, Decatur, AL
Lotta Bull BBQ, Marietta, OK
Rib Ticklers, Batesville, AR

Kinda all over the place as to home state. Johnny Trigg is always a contender in any category!

I just have a feeling that quality brisket cooking has spread outside of it's "roots" in TX.

Just like quality BBQ is creeping into the NE and Wikiup, AZ :lol:

Could be wrong!

TIM

Little Fishy

TexasGuppie said:
Folks from Texas don't get "defensive" (that's city-folk terminology) Nope...folks from Texas just get a rope.

:biggrin: Everyone is entitled to their opinions about stuff. It's just that those opinions anger those of us that know the TRUTH.

Ken (my daddy called me "Kenny" when I was in trouble.)
With or without the rope, your response was defensive...

Yep - Texans and Fox Mulder all know "the truth is out there..."

Best brisket will always be a personal choice.

Attachments

• DavidDuchovny.jpg
    DavidDuchovny.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 129
Bevo said:
Hey, Homer, Why don't you post some pics of your product??
Here you go, but not too sure what it has to do with this thread??? Seems like a diversionary tactic, or don't they do diversionary tactics in Texas :)

Attachments

• bbq cook6.jpg
    bbq cook6.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 84
  • bbq cook2.jpg
    bbq cook2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 84
  • bbq cook5a.jpg
    bbq cook5a.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 84
RichardF said:
With or without the rope, your response was defensive...

Yep - Texans and Fox Mulder all know "the truth is out there..."

Best brisket will always be a personal choice.

that's why I don't go to competitions, it is all subject to what that particular group of judges is looking for. Nothing wrong with that, but too me, not worth the effort.

Back