Poultry doneness and joint looseness

HankB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm wondering about poultry doneness and some of the signs that can be seen as the bird cooks, particularly with something like a turkey where a little overdone results in a dry breast. Here are the signs I see:

• Meat pulling back on the drumstick. And like ribs, when the meat pulls back, it is not done but is getting close. I've also noticed that if the birds are cooked low 'n slow there may be no pull back.
  • The drumstick to thigh joint loosens.
  • The thigh to body joint loosens.
  • The upper wing to body joint loosens. At this point, the breast will be dry.

Have any of you noticed this and if so, do you use any of these signs to determine when the bird is done? I'm not really that confident that when I stick a thermometer in the breast or thigh that I'm getting the least done part of the bird. Sometimes when I carve a bird the juices coming out of the area between the thigh and body are a little pink and I'm worried that it is not done enough. :shocked:

I'm wondering about poultry doneness and some of the signs that can be seen as the bird cooks, particularly with something like a turkey where a little overdone results in a dry breast. Here are the signs I see:

• Meat pulling back on the drumstick. And like ribs, when the meat pulls back, it is not done but is getting close. I've also noticed that if the birds are cooked low 'n slow there may be no pull back.
  • The drumstick to thigh joint loosens.
  • The thigh to body joint loosens.
  • The upper wing to body joint loosens. At this point, the breast will be dry.

Have any of you noticed this and if so, do you use any of these signs to determine when the bird is done? I'm not really that confident that when I stick a thermometer in the breast or thigh that I'm getting the least done part of the bird. Sometimes when I carve a bird the juices coming out of the area between the thigh and body are a little pink and I'm worried that it is not done enough. :shocked:

I go by internal temperature. I look for 160-165 in the breast and 170-175 in the thigh. I always probe in the thickest parts of the breast and thigh as well.

What I do notice when the bird is done and I'm carving it up is that the drum stick, thigh bone loosed. The wing is loosened a bit but not as much as the thigh and drumstick.

Yep always go by temp...if i had a dime for every time i lose or almost lose a quarter pulling my birds i'd have lots of money.:biggrin1:

Temp will never give you a bum Steer on poultry. The leg wiggle can be fairly accurate but will mislead you. I call it on whole & 1/2 birds when I can grab the Drum stick and twist it 360 in the socket if I don't have a temp stick handy.

Last edited:
Temp will never give you a bum Steer on poultry. The leg wiggle can be fairly accurate but will mislead you. I call it on whole & 1/2 birds when I can grab the Drum stick and twist it 360 in the socket if I don't have a temp stick handy.

I think Bludawg just confirmed he does in fact own a thermometer!!!!

I think Bludawg just confirmed he does in fact own a thermometer!!!!

I do and they have their uses like on poultry or roasts & smoking bacon where you don't want it to come out like a saddle fender made from the hide of a very old Bull. But I gayrontee you will never see it if I'm cooking what I consider BBQ ( Brisket, Butt, Clod, Shoulders, Ribs)

Juice color is a myth.

I'm with Blu, thermometer for poultry, and my temp targets are lower than stated here, so feel safe because once you have been ten minutes at 135f you are no longer at bacterial risk, you are just targeting the texture and doneness you want.

I used to cook 600 to 700 chicken halves. If you lift the wing and it pops loose is one thing we looked for. Second test was grab the drumstick bone. If it spun easy the bird was done.
I confirmed this by checking the thigh with my thermo pen. All thighs were 190 to 195 internal. The breasts were still moist and we sold out every fall during our little fair.

If you brine your bird for a bit, you can take the temperatures higher and have a more tender yet juicy bird. I take mine to 185 or 190 in the thigh and can easily remove the leg. The breast doesn't dry out this way but the skin can get tough if cooked at a low temp.

Back