Hanging Chicken In The WSM (Yeah me too)

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Bought me a Pro Q Stacker off of the Intewebs and put it on my Weber. Not thrilled with the lid fit, but I can mess with that later.

20130817_140415_zps1d1a2203.jpg

Made 4 hooks out of a cheap pack of skewers and have 4 halves hanging right now running about 290*

20130817_140422_zpsa5cdf8ee.jpg

I took one of my old grates and just cut out the bars that I didn't need.

I took those pics in a hurry so I'll try to get better ones of the finished product.

Thanks. If this works out well, this will probably become my chicken rig for IBCA comps.

That was my plan also, to cut an old Weber grate to hang the food in my drum. I have the grate and the hooks and the chickens, I just need to do it!

Well the verdict is that hanging the birds with no water pan in place produced a really juicy chicken. I wish that I could figure out a way to get the breast skin to render. Its always thicker and fattier. I never have trouble with the wing or leg quarter skin.

But I am sold on hanging for now!

20130817_173934_zps41065c94.jpg

Even the white meat was juicy!

20130817_171404_zps622f9c04.jpg

What is the advantage to hanging the chickens? Is there more smoke contact?

If I knew I would sure tell ya. But based on this cook and many others on here there definitely seems to be something to it.

Is chicken your first experiment? I'm wondering how ribs, brisket and pork would turn out.

Chicken looks good! Have you considered jakarding (sp?) the skin on the breast?

Eric

Really like that mod! And that is one of the best looking breasts I have ever seen... Ever

Talk to me more about the hanging process. Have any pics of them hanging. Did you only do thighs and breast? I cant imagine all cuts would accept a hook very well. Could you hang a whoIe chicken

Edit..Never mind.. Now see the pics

Last edited:
Is chicken your first experiment? I'm wondering how ribs, brisket and pork would turn out.

Chicken looks good! Have you considered jakarding (sp?) the skin on the breast?

Eric

That's what I plan to try next. I think that fat needs an easier path out of the thicker skin.

Great looking chicken. I wonder if the stack is even necessary, given the PBC results posted here.

Here's what I did for the fire. I left out the water pan and the charcoal ring and just put a healthy load of royal oak briquettes spread evenly on the charcoal grate. Pretty much the same way you would in a Weber Kettle if you were cooking burgers direct. I thenhit it all over with the weed torch until the top layer was starting to ash over. Then I left all intakes and exhaust wide open, and the cook temp stayed between 280 and 290 for the whole cook.

Back