View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Another disappointing brisket

I cooked my second ever brisket yesterday - the flat was dry. Again. A 15lb Angus packer. Cooked on my Weber Kettle 26 - set up for offset. I used Wicked Good Lump + Hickory and Pecan.

I put the meat in a tin roasting pan (on a cooling rack) and cooked it at 300*. After about 4 hours it had good color, so I foiled it. The internal was around 160*. After a few hours, it probed tender all over. I checked the temp, and it was 200*. I pulled it and vented it for about 15 minutes. Temp dropped to 190*. I re-foiled it and wrapped it in towels. It sat there for 2 hours.

The point sliced off easy, and it was larger than I expected. It was super tender and juicy. The bark was soft on the whole thing. There was a lot of au jus in the pan. I sliced the flat, and it was dry. The smoke ring was quite thin (probably could've used more wood). The slices had pretty good texture and snap, but I know they weren't quite right, and I know they were dry as toast.

Two briskets on my resume, both dry. On the first, I didn't wrap on the smoker until it was at 180*, and I failed to vent it before wrapping in towels. The second, I tried hot & fast, and I wrapped it on the grill at 160* internal. I did vent it this time.

OK, I'm prepared to scrap all of this and try a whole new approach. I'm determined to get this right, if I have to cook a hundred of these things. I think I've read every thread on this site that deals with brisket. Too much clutter in my simple head. Any help, as always, is appreciated.
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote