THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Im out of wood chunks and rather than going to find more that is pre-cut and half dried, I thought I would cut a limb off of my peach tree and chunk it. Will it being that green, will that make much of a difference? Im thinking of cutting it and using it tonight with this cook.

:shock: Tonight?

Cut the wood into 1" thick disks and put them in a warm oven - maybe 250°F. When they start to crack they might be ready.

Maybe someone will chime in on the wisdom of using relative green wood. I know it's done but I'm not familiar with that.

fruit woods can be burned fresh off of a tree.. Myron Mixon does it all the time!! lol try to preheat them and add less than you would typically add of dry chunks... and i think you will be fine!

Agreed, I like to use the freshest apple wood I can get my hands on. I've always wondered why someone will get some crusty old dried up wood then soak it in water, the natural juices (from fruit-wood anyway) are way better than water.

I second what everyone else said. Hickory and oak do better dry, but fruit wood is great when it's green. Puts out a really nice sweet smoke. I will say, in my pit, it takes such a big fire that once I have a really hot bed of coals I can even throw hickory in a little wet. Not green of course, but only slightly seasoned. The heat from the already burned wood and coals are enough to dry it out really fast if thrown in a little early. I did this a couple nights ago with some wet hickory and peach logs and it was the best smoke yet.

felt kinda weird doing it, but I cut a bottom limb off of the peach tree, sawed it into 3 inch chunks (maybe 2 inches diameter) and used 6 of those chunks in the smoker...the smell was amazing! seven hours in to the cook now...Im hoping these three butts turn out great!

felt kinda weird doing it, but I cut a bottom limb off of the peach tree, sawed it into 3 inch chunks (maybe 2 inches diameter) and used 6 of those chunks in the smoker...the smell was amazing! seven hours in to the cook now...Im hoping these three butts turn out great!

I'm sure it will be great...

Back