"fresh" wood?

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Im out of wood chunks and rather than going to find more that is pre-cut and half dried, I thought I would cut a limb off of my peach tree and chunk it. Will it being that green, will that make much of a difference? Im thinking of cutting it and using it tonight with this cook.

:shock: Tonight?

Cut the wood into 1" thick disks and put them in a warm oven - maybe 250°F. When they start to crack they might be ready.

Maybe someone will chime in on the wisdom of using relative green wood. I know it's done but I'm not familiar with that.

fruit woods can be burned fresh off of a tree.. Myron Mixon does it all the time!! lol try to preheat them and add less than you would typically add of dry chunks... and i think you will be fine!

Agreed, I like to use the freshest apple wood I can get my hands on. I've always wondered why someone will get some crusty old dried up wood then soak it in water, the natural juices (from fruit-wood anyway) are way better than water.

hickory and oak.. are a different story though.. hardwoods and nutwoods do best when dried..

I second what everyone else said. Hickory and oak do better dry, but fruit wood is great when it's green. Puts out a really nice sweet smoke. I will say, in my pit, it takes such a big fire that once I have a really hot bed of coals I can even throw hickory in a little wet. Not green of course, but only slightly seasoned. The heat from the already burned wood and coals are enough to dry it out really fast if thrown in a little early. I did this a couple nights ago with some wet hickory and peach logs and it was the best smoke yet.

felt kinda weird doing it, but I cut a bottom limb off of the peach tree, sawed it into 3 inch chunks (maybe 2 inches diameter) and used 6 of those chunks in the smoker...the smell was amazing! seven hours in to the cook now...Im hoping these three butts turn out great!

felt kinda weird doing it, but I cut a bottom limb off of the peach tree, sawed it into 3 inch chunks (maybe 2 inches diameter) and used 6 of those chunks in the smoker...the smell was amazing! seven hours in to the cook now...Im hoping these three butts turn out great!

I'm sure it will be great...

Back