• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Finished my outdoor kitchen today

I'm curious on the details of this type of construction. Would you mind sharing, or maybe pointing me towards any links or references you found helpful? Mostly I'm wondering how you secure the stone to the durarock or whatever the substrate is. Also, that detail around the Primo and the gasser, are those tiles or stone, or something else?

I was reluctant on how to secure everything together, because there are so many varying opinions on HOW to secure rock to hardibacker. After hours of reading horror stories and success stories, I came up with my method.

First, you can't use building stone, what I have is natural quarry rock, but it's called "thin select". It runs a bit more, but all the rock for this project was only $450. Understand that it comes DIRTY and nothing sticks to lose dirt. So here is my method of securing the stone to 1/2" hardibacker:

1. Pre-prime the hardi backer by rolling on concrete bonding adhesive. This does two things: first, it wets the backer board, which will prevent it from rapidly soaking all the moisture out of your mortar and two, it enhances the bond.
2. Using a 1/8" toothed trowel apply Premium grade Type S mortar (mix with water and acrylic modifier for a superior bond).
3. wipe the backside of rock clean with a wet sponge
4. Trowel Type S on to thin select rock
5. Place and press.

Bigger pieces may require a screw or two to hold it into place for the night.

Thank you everyone for the fantastic compliments. I'll tell you I'm no contractor, plumber, rock worker, etc. Just patient and willing to try it. Anyone can do this. The rock work SUCKS, but it isn't rocket science.

Build pics:

Lay it out:
DSC04055_zps8e8dac46.jpg

Frame it (with help):
DSC04107_zps1331d5f0.jpg

1/2" hardi (this adds all the stability):
2013-02-21_07-43-08_839_zpsbef0a4cc.jpg

Rock test:
2013-02-24_17-22-12_73_zpsd9a4757c.jpg

Keep on working:
2013-03-03_12-26-13_573_zps0fa00d96.jpg

2013-03-04_07-10-09_957_zpsf500110c.jpg

Details:

framing: 26 gauge galvanized 2.5" framing
backer: 1/2" hardi backer
stone: Oklahoma Thin Select
mortar: Premium Type S
Granite: 3cm Venetian Gold
Doors and Drawer: BBQ Guys
Grill: SWISS 36" - 6 burners, power sear and rotisserie
Smoker: Primo Oval XL
Power Burner: Fire Magic Echelon 60,000 BTU Dual Power Burner

Thanks for posting the details. I recently built a foundation for a hot tub and there is surprisingly little info about how to do it. An outdoor kitchen is on my to do list, but there are not many resources that give enough detail for my rookie self to figure out.

Thanks for the build pics, I was originally planning on brick to match the house but seeing the stone has me thinking....

If any of ya'll have questions, please PM me. These threads get so buried in such a fast moving forum.

Thanks for the compliments

Back