Noob with a Tri Tip

vwags

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey all. I am new to all this and have been having fun using the used Weber I just bought. I went that route because I figured it was better than anything new in my price range. I am about to try smoking a Tri Tip for today. Wish me luck

Good luck!

What's your plan for cook temp, internal temp, seasoning, etc?

I like to do a reverse sear on Tri-tip. I cook it indirect until it hits 115 - 120 internal and then sear direct until it is 125-130 internal.

Make sure you watch the grain as you slice it since the grain changes partway through the roast.

Good luck!

What's your plan for cook temp, internal temp, seasoning, etc?

I like to do a reverse sear on Tri-tip. I cook it indirect until it hits 115 - 120 internal and then sear direct until it is 125-130 internal.

Make sure you watch the grain as you slice it since the grain changes partway through the roast.

I just coated it with Montreal Steak Seasoning, Lawrys and Garlic Powder because that is what we had and we like to use until I learn more. It actually cooked a lot faster than I expected so I missed the internal temp but hey mistakes are how you learn right?:wacko: Besides who says you can't have an Easter Pizza delivered? I will take pictures after we get back from church.

Well we are back and it has been sitting in the off oven for about 90 minutes. I sliced it and it is good but obviously could be better. I guess I just need to try again huh?

resized tritip.jpg

You made a good choice with the Weber Kettle... It will cook anything you want to cook and they price is definitely right!

Looks like a good start to a long BBQ passion. I do lots of tri-tips on a kettle, it works great.

I have not done a tri-tip yet, but yours looks pretty good to me!

Back