Has anyone ever smoked on their Smokey Joe?

I smoke in my Smokey Joe but only after I converted it into a smoker.

picture.php

Chicken,chops, pork loin, fatties, burgers,
I bank the coals to one side cover the unused portion of the coal grate with foil, light up 5 briquettes to get the show started add 1 chunk o wood bottom vent open 3/4 top full open gives me about 260 for 4 hrs.

Yes, following conversion. Awesome smoker! I found the Smokey Joe by itself to be a bot small to be very useful but the conversion totally changes that.

The one on the left.

DSC_5940-PP.JPG

I have done indirect cooks on my Smokey Joe, unmodified. And, I have done many smokes on my Smokey Joe with the mini-WSM mod.

It is amazing what you can do with a Smokey Joe and a tamale pot.

CD

I'm not sure it really clasifys as "smoking" but I like to throw in some mesquite when I'm grilling steaks and burgers, or some cherry wood when grilling chicken breasts and the like. It always gives me the nice flavors I'm looking for.

Chicken,chops, pork loin, fatties, burgers,
I bank the coals to one side cover the unused portion of the coal grate with foil, light up 5 briquettes to get the show started add 1 chunk o wood bottom vent open 3/4 top full open gives me about 260 for 4 hrs.

I may have to try that, I would have never thought you could get a cook that long out of "little smokey".

I'm not sure it really clasifys as "smoking" but I like to throw in some mesquite when I'm grilling steaks and burgers, or some cherry wood when grilling chicken breasts and the like. It always gives me the nice flavors I'm looking for.

exactly how I use mineI use chunks of mesquite and it really infuses smoke flavor

I do with my sjg. Just treat it like it's a bigger kettle and it works great. I use it for fatties.

I've also got the tamale pot mod for bigger stuff like prime rib or brisket flats.

Here is another mod I did that essentially works like a bge platesetter. Works great for indirect cooking of things that will fit under the stock lid.

dysugana.jpg

But for small stufg id just push the coals to one side and put meat on the other. You'll need to flip or turn food half for even cooking but other than that Keep lid on as much as possible because temps will spike when it gets oxygen. They come back down fast too though.

Try it. It's fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

No I have not by itself. After I spent the $23.00 to convert it to WSM Mini, I smoked on it all the time. Butts, chickens, turkey breast. Works great except when the outside temp is 23 deg.

Doing some mini wsm research after your responses. How optional is the fire ring?

All the time for chicken halves if it's just me. Eye of round, pastrami, etc. I like the smokey joe best for fajitas.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_40IrOcOXg&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]J$ smokin on the Smokey Joe - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOiCw2qumBA&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]J$ fajitas on the smokey joe - YouTube[/ame]

Doing some mini wsm research after your responses. How optional is the fire ring?

i just made a 3" ring with 1/2" expanded metal from home depot and some mechanics wire. also cut out a ring the size of the charcoal grate for lump.

im in the process of building a mini wsm and just ordered some custom n.e. patriots logo stencils from steve at duda designs. awesome graphics and beyond reasonable prices.

I did a 5 pound butt once it turned out great. It was very basic I lit the coals and placed the butt in a foil wrapped clay flower pot water catcher.

Back