• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Roasts?

okie smoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was looking through the threads and saw lots of talk about roasts. Mostly I saw chuck, prime rib and rib roasts. What about round roasts and arm roasts?

It looks like generally the roast cooking is about like most cooking...low and slow and bring it to the right temperature. I noticed several with a little higher temperature. I would assume that since they are a fairly tender meat, especially prime rib, the low temp isn't as critical?

I think it all depends on fat content. Less intramuscular fat content to me means high heat, faster cooking. I think those other roasts benefit more from a braise. Looking forward to others input.

Arm roast is a cut from the chuck (or vice versa depending on your semantics), so any of the techniques used for a chuck should apply. Round roasts tend to have very little intramuscular fat, so either taking them to medium rare (or less) on a somewhat hot fire or braising/ cooking with lots of liquid until pullable.

Each roast can be cooked in a variety of ways. A Prime Rib or Ribeye Roast can be cooked very well at lower temperatures, or, very hot, both methods can yield delicious meat.

I happen to prefer cross-rib, round, eye of round and sirloin roasts done faster, but, quite rare. The exception being tri-tip/top block which I prefer cooked lower to medium rare/rare.

I have a couple arm roasts still on my list of meat to get from the meat store I already bought. I might try one of those first. Any good suggestions for recipes? Should I just search around more on the forum?

Back