To Pan or Not to Pan

JRoman

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to smoking. I have just set up my UDS and have done two smokes on it. But tomorrow I will be smoking my first turkey. The question is should I use a pan for my turkey or just left set on the grate. Any help with this question are much appreciated. Also any other information is good too.

Thanks and I hope everyone has a great Thankgiving.

I've done turkeys with an indirect set up on a kettle and on a WSM and I typically don't pan. I've not had any experience on a UDS. I used a pan once on the WSM because my wife wanted drippings for gravy but I had the turkey on a roasting rack set in the pan. Hope that helps some.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Myron says to use a pan and cook for 5 hours at 250. Personally, I'm not sure that will get the thing done if it is very big, but when I have used Myron's methods I always got great results, although it took a looong time to get there.

I always pan turkeys. Never really want to eat the back of the bird. Plus the oysters stay protected then.

Who gets the Oysters off your bird

You know those little oyster shaped pockets from the back. Those are mine!!!!

Thank you for the replies, My wife wants dripping too, so I think I will pan. I like the lining the pan idea. I am planning to smoke for around 7 hours at 250. It is almost 14 pounds

I put a pan on the lower rack and the turkey on the top rack(with weber lid). I use the pan to catch the drippings with all the stuff to make gravy, 350-400F turns out great!!

So what how hot should I go? And for how long?

375 at the grate for about 3-1/4 hours. 165 IT at the thigh away from the bone. If ya wanna get fancy, ice pack the breast meat for 30-45 minutes before cooking so the breast isn't done way before the dark meat and all dried out. Works GREAT!!

300 and at 2 hrs check for color. if color is good tent with foil and check temps every 1/2 hr till done

Well I did use a pan, but keep it at 250, for about 6 1/2 hours. It was great everyone loved it. I would like to thank everyone help with their knowledge. I will definitely be looking for more help down the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Back