• It's Bacon time again! (a LOT of pr0n!!)

Looks like something I want to try.

Couple of questions:

When "curing" in the fridge, can it be put in a vacuum-seal bag or should it be in a zip-lock type bag?

What is "wet sugar"?

Looks like something I want to try.

Couple of questions:

When "curing" in the fridge, can it be put in a vacuum-seal bag or should it be in a zip-lock type bag?

What is "wet sugar"?

Hey qapla, when curing you can definatily vacuum seal the meat. You'll see a bit of liquid in the bad the next day. Just be sure to redistribute the liquid and flip the meat over daily.

As for wet sugar, it's an item thats been in Ja for a LONG time. It goes back to the sugar estate days of jamaica. What it is is pretty much unrefined brown sugar. Imagine a mixture of brown sugar and molasses that have not been separated. Literally wet brown sugar.

Cheers

I think I'm about to pass out. I love bacon and you did those bellies justice bro!

So that's the base and this is where it gets fun... Put your spin on it. For the sweet, if you want brown sugar use it. Maple syrup? Why not?? Honey... works well too. Whatever you want. You can add whatever spices you like as well. Want a black pepper bacon... just add black pepper. The options are so broad. Garlic, red pepper flakes, herbs, saw someone mention cinnamon recently... you get the idea. Thats the basic gist of how I make bacon... Everyone that says they want to make it, I encourage you to do so. That first bite will have you wondering what you've been eating all this time.

Cheers.

I have Ruhlman and Polcyn's book and made the Maple-Cured last week... Wife loves it so much she told me she is getting more bellies on the way home from work tomorrow.

but I have to ask what else did you add here? looks like some bay, peppercorns, red pepper, garlic....allspice? What is the Yellow? (Sweet Cure Pic.. Sorry but I was triggering errors trying to post the pic in)

Looks awesome!
What cuts are the Money muscle and buckboard?
What was your wet sugar?

Back